breeding/ brooder pens, any advice?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by admhotel, Sep 16, 2010.

1. admhotel

admhotel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Rome, Ny
    I will be building some breeding / brooders pens soon, and would like to know if anybody has any advice before I start.
    The pens will be going into a existing building that already has the main coop on one end. The area that I want to build it into is about 3x7 and about 6ft tall. I want to make it 2 levels, the lower one will have a pop door out into the run.
    Questions I have are do I need roosts? What size should I make the nest boxes if I want it for broody hens? Anything else I should know before I start building.

Here is a pic of the area that I am going to use.
    [​IMG]

Thanks Alot

2. admhotel

admhotel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Rome, Ny
    Does anyone have pictures of thier setup, I am pretty handy I just need a visual. I have checked throught the coop section and most don't have pics of thier breeding pens.

3. tim dillon

tim dillon New Egg

Aug 17, 2010
    if you will go to petco.com they have a few products - i like the ware chicken hutch- that you could look at and get some ideas. i'm planning to build brooder hutches too and i would think that safety of the birds would be the first order and i might add that the hen should feel safe as well as be safe. of course i'm a little paranoid on account of roving bulldogs in my neighborhood. also the chicken coop design section here has some great designs from other chicken fanatics. any of the designs should do as long as the girls feel secure.
    by the way, thank-you for your service to our country. i served in the 173rd airborne brigade in vietnam as a booney rat.

4. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Type breeding pens into the search box, there are several pages. Hope this helps. [​IMG]

5. tim dillon

tim dillon New Egg

Aug 17, 2010
    by the way, again, featherbaby had a great coop picture that she sent to me. of course it went to the place where everything on my coputer hides so i can't find it. i'm new here too and i'm still running around like a......like i'm lost

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by