Breeding Brother to sister or not?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by madelynbelle, Apr 17, 2009.

1. madelynbelle

madelynbelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    PUGET SOUND
    I am new to managing a backyard flock. I have BC Marans and I am wondering if I should get a BC Maran rooster from another line or if its o.k. to breed within the flock. I dont want to jeapordize the egg color I get, nor the fertility rates I have heard can be affected by inbreeding. My eggs have not hatched yet, so to speak so I am trying to figure out if I should get more hatching eggs from a different line so there is not a problem when they are older. I am looking for quality not quantity as I would like to have good quality birds. Thanks for any help on this matter My birds will be of the Wade Jeane Line [​IMG]

2. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

teehee I call it inbreeding but DH calls it "linebreeding" with his angus herd... the neighbor told me that if you can breed father to daughter without any mutations then you have a genetically sound line and can safely continue line breeding them. IDK about all of that, I think its gross when I see the bull out there up on his own mother...

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Madie, you can breed brother to sister for a couple generations if they aren`t too inbred to start with. If you like what you`ve got, that mating would lock in the genes and give you a great foundation in the next mating so you can ad a strange rooster and get good results. From there, it`s father to daughter and son to mother for six generations, keeping the families seperate and good records as to who`s who. After six, you take one of each sex from both families and start over for another six. You can breed excellent fowl for a lifetime like that. Questions? PM me.......Pop

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Whether you should linebreed (in the broad sense, any of several systems) with what you've got or add outside blood depends on what you've got. Main reason to go with outside blood would be if there are already problems appearing from inbreeding, and/or if you would rather cover up any deleterious recessives rather than do things large-enough scale to cull them out in hopes of eliminating them. (You have to have good #s of known matings with good #s of chicks raised from each if you are going to try to eliminate unwanted recessives from the flock).

If there are no known problems and you do have at least some enthusiasm for weeding out unwanted alleles, you might consider breeding with what you've got for now, and then if/when it seems like you want some outside blood, get some FROM THE SAME LINES as kept by another person (breeder yours came from, or someone else who got theirs from that breeder). That way you will not be adding in *too*-different blood, which will minimize the disadvantages of outside blood.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. DuckBoy

DuckBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2010
    I am starting with a new small flock of one plymoth rock roo amd 6 new hampshire red hens in order to ry to make my own delewares. Well try at least. Can you give me any tips thanks cory

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by