Breeding by egg color?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Troll, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Troll

Troll Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2014
    Buna, Tx
    I have two easter egger roosters. One from a green egg, one from a blue. I have two easter egger hens laying blue eggs.

If i breed blue x blue, what are the odds of producing another blue egg layer?

Is there some kind of chart that sets up a Punnett Square type idea of egg color or comb by breeding?

Like pea comb blue gene x rose comb tinted egg= ?

Im curious (and, ill admit-kinda geeking out over the possibilities)

Also-feather color? Like white ee roo x blonde laced ee hen?

2. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Troll [​IMG]

I have two easter egger roosters. One from a green egg, one from a blue. I have two easter egger hens laying blue eggs.

If i breed blue x blue, what are the odds of producing another blue egg layer?

Is there some kind of chart that sets up a Punnett Square type idea of egg color or comb by breeding?

Like pea comb blue gene x rose comb tinted egg= ?

Im curious (and, ill admit-kinda geeking out over the possibilities)

Also-feather color? Like white ee roo x blonde laced ee hen?

Egg color can be very complicated. Chicken genetic are not simple.

blue egg x blue egg = all blue egg or some offspring hens will produce blue eggs and other hens will produce white eggs

pea comb gene is closely linked to the blue egg gene so they usually can be found together

pea comb and blue egg x rose comb and tinted egg = strawberry comb and blue green egg ( more blue than green) or a blue egg layer

you will have to post pictures of the EE- EE are hybrids so there are many possibilities and with a white bird in the cross one can not make a prediction unless the bird is an established breed variety. I do not know what the blond laced variety is phenotypically so that presents another problem. Certain phenotypes have established genotypes and blond laced is a new phenotype that I have not read about or seen.

Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by