1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breeding Cage Information Wanted

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Game Bird Guy, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Game Bird Guy

Game Bird Guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Victoria
    Hi.
    I am looking into building breeding cages for pairs of Gamble's, Blue Scaled, Valley, Mountain, Mearn's and Benson's Quail. Does anyone know dimensions that would work, how to furnish them nest box sizes etc.? I understand that some of these birds are a challenge and/or have litte information on them, Benson's and Mearn's, but can anyone give me some advice? I appreciate all feed back.
    Kramer

2. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    The Valley, Gambles, and Scaled should be ok in the same type of pen you would keep bobs in, though you might hang some burlap curtains or something as they tend to be flighty.

3. Game Bird Guy

Jul 22, 2011
    Victoria
    What dimensions would you make them for a pair?

4. rittert3

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    Do you want that in american standard or metric dementions? lol sorry [​IMG] I would do just 1 ft (~30cm) wide by 2ft (~61cm) deep by 10 in (~26cm) high with some sort of sight barrier on the back and sides of each stall. That could be as simple as zip tying card board to the wire. Thats only for the Gamble, Calis, and Scaled I'm not sure if that design would work with the Mountain, Benson's, and/or Mearn's. They won't stay pretty but the should breed ok, housing those species in a way that they will stay comfortable and easy to manage could get difficult, especially with only 1 pair of each. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  5. Game Bird Guy

Jul 22, 2011
    Victoria
    Thanks [​IMG]
    My other option is to keep a pair of one of the species in each of my pheasant pens. Each pheasant pen is 10x15 ft and 10ft high. The pheasants are white, brown and blue-eared, silver, red golden, lady amherst and impeyan. Would it be safe to do this aswell?

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:I know a breeder that has chukar pidgies and valleys all in the same avairy it is aprox 6' feet deep 12-14' wide and 6-7'tall it has been working for about a year and a half now another breeder close by has the blue scales in 3'X 2.5' X 2.5' Pens he keeps 7 birds in each pen 2 males and 5 hens he has his valleys and gambles in similar pens

7. rittert3

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    I wouldn't pen the quail with your pheasant because the tend to be more aggressive in nature and the species of quail you have listed tend to be pretty pricey just to let the pheasant bully them to death. I don't know if the earred and impeyan would be so bad but the ruffed and silvers I know are more agressive.

8. Game Bird Guy

Jul 22, 2011
    Victoria
    I was also wondering if trios are better than pairs. And why that would be. Thanks. [​IMG]

9. Game Bird Guy

Jul 22, 2011
    Victoria
    Any more suggestions for me?

10. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Mearns and Bensons?!? Holy Chicago!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by