Breeding California Grey Chickens

Ouwendyker

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 8, 2015
Ontario Canada
I currently have a dozen white leghorn hens, thinkin about breeding them with a barred rock rooster to get california grey chicks. My question is, does it need to be a purebred barred rock rooster to get the autosexing trait, or can it be any rooster that has barring?

The Moonshiner

Professional Chicken Tender
Nov 17, 2016
Missouri
Your cross won't produce California grey chickens. CG are an actual breed. You'll just be producing a mix.
They also won't be sex linked. To produce what you're thinking it needs to be a barred hen and non barred rooster. Also its sex linked because of the barred male offspring being born with a head spot.
Your leghorns dominate white would be dominate and not allow the head spot to be visible even if your cross was the proper direction.

Ouwendyker

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 8, 2015
Ontario Canada
Your cross won't produce California grey chickens. CG are an actual breed. You'll just be producing a mix.
They also won't be sex linked. To produce what you're thinking it needs to be a barred hen and non barred rooster. Also its sex linked because of the barred male offspring being born with a head spot.
Your leghorns dominate white would be dominate and not allow the head spot to be visible even if your cross was the proper direction.
Thanks for the insight, however through the research i’ve done the california grey is a hybrid chicken, a cross between a male barred rock and a white leghorn hen. Are you saying this is incorrect?

Ouwendyker

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 8, 2015
Ontario Canada
I appologize, all this time I have misinterpreted the breed. The OFFSPRING of the barred rock rooster over the white leghorn hen creates the CG, and their offspring will be autosexing. Correct?

The Moonshiner

Professional Chicken Tender
Nov 17, 2016
Missouri
Those were the breeds used to create the California grey. It wasn't as simple as breeding the two together or breeding their offspring together.
It started there but took many more generations to establish them as a breed.
No your cross will not produce sex links nor will crossing those offspring produce them.

Ouwendyker

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 8, 2015
Ontario Canada
so what i’m understanding is if I get a BR rooster and put him with my WL hens, i’m not going to get a CG purebred? But it would still have the same traits mostly

Top Bottom