Breeding Chart...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by v.cyr, Jun 10, 2011.

1. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    I am new to this breeding stuff...is there some sort of standardized format(maybe available in a printable format somewhere?) for keeping track of breeding... I have tried to come up with something on my own, but after a couple of generations it gets a little confusing... I want to keep track of the bloodlines of my birds, both the purebreds and the crosses that I have... mostly I want to avoid inbreeding, but I also would like to be able to trace back what a bird's heritage was if I happen to get something interesting popping up in my crosses... I know my aunt had some binders for keeping track of breeding cattle and horses, but I was just a kid when she was serious into breeding them, so I don't remember much... and she passed away a few years back, so I can't ask her about it... also, is there a good reference on poultry breeding and genetics... dominant traits, recessive traits, and all that stuff... nothing to advanced, just the basic stuff...

2. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    There are some great books out there on poultry genetics.

Here is a basic pedigree chart :

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/status4

You can see that his pedigree goes WAY back, but it would be just as easy to just have a three or four generation pedigree. Wing bands will really help you in this venture, as will stud matings....

We do these pedigrees based on breeding pens... so we have a chick with band #X and our records show he's out of hatch 2010-004, #66. We look at that hatch, see that the sire of that pen was bird #66, the hens were #05, #81 and #80.

Later on down the road we will be doing just stud mating, one cock and one hen, but for now this is the way it is [​IMG]

3. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    so I would make up a sheet for each bird, that shows its ancestors as far back as I can trace it?...

4. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
  5. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    You wouldn't really have to do that, but you could if you wanted to. Or, just list the sire and dam (and their leg #) and then you can flip to their pages.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by