1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

breeding chickens HELP!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nick10atl, Mar 25, 2009.

1. nick10atl

nick10atl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2009
    Winder, Ga
    I am new to this and was wondering ... do i need to make a breeding pen in order to breed my chickens ??

2. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Quote:Only if you want a certain hen mated with a certain roo - and don't want to wade through the other eggs to make sure ya got the right egg [​IMG]

I just put one roo to at least 10 hens in a coop/run/freerange, and let em rip [​IMG]

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

If a rooster wants to breed a hen it doesn't care if it's in a pen, a box, in a tree LOL, it WILL happen. If you are trying to keep breeds seperate, you willl need a coop/pen/enclosure to keep them seperate. If not, just turn them out in the yard, and DON"T worry, they will breed.

4. nick10atl

Mar 20, 2009
    Winder, Ga
    okay yeah thats what i was going to do to start with but then i read something on here that said i need breeding pens so was confused but okay .. and how many hens per rooster should i have?

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It somewhat depends on the breed and the age of the rooster. A full-sized rooster one or two years old can probably handle 12 to maybe 15 hens. As they get older, they can handle a few less. A banty can handle a few more. And it depends on the personality of the rooster. Some people go with a ratio of 10 hens per rooster. So somewhere in this range. It is not an exact science.

6. nick10atl

Mar 20, 2009
    Winder, Ga
    okay thanks alot!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by