Breeding Chickens?? My friend knows everything so HE thinks

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by tn chick, May 12, 2009.

1. tn chick

tn chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2008
    SW Tennessee
    okay just got in a very heated debate about my chickens the other day.
    this friend we have knows EVERYTHING hes a expert(he tells me this all the time) hes always trying to tell me what to do and never gets to boss me like everyone else my hubby lol about him when we go over and he gets bosey with me the 10mile drive home he then hears from me is : he knows everything he acts like im a dumb blonde you get what im saying.. hubby says he doesnt like it when you put him in place i dont think anyone has ever done that before.
    when i said i wanted chickens he said no you dont i would say yes i do he replied they get mites you dont want them i said thats why you treat them..
    he knows i have baby orpingtons and plan on keeping 2 of my roosters, he know i have 5 brahmas 4 laying hens 1 rooster
    he tells me i need to get rid of all my roosters and only need 1 i asked him WHY he responded to me: all the roosters will fight even when in separate pens like you have and the hens decides what the offspring will be.
    I told him i want pure breeds,he said 1 rooster is all you need wont matter what breed it is the eggs will be pure when hatched
    okay im scratching my head [​IMG]

so my question am i the idiot he says i am?????
    keeping a orpington roosters for orpinton girls in there pen and 1 brahma rooster for his girls???

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

[​IMG] Oh, my gosh, that's a new level of ignorance, isn't it? Why dont you ask how the hen separates the sperm? And how ANYONE has cross breeds. OMGosh!!!! [​IMG]

3. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    LOL How can the roosters fight in seperate pens? I can see if the pens are right next to each other they will try...but they can't really fight. Why would he think any roo would make a pure breed, only the one of a same breed can do that.

4. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Stuuuu-pid! [​IMG]

5. tn chick

tn chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2008
    SW Tennessee
    speckledhen you are rite the talk got very heated till i finally said take me home
    maybe he thinks the hen has a strainer she separates the sperm with [​IMG] who knows

ps have heard alot over the months from you and what you post [​IMG]

i told my hubby why would you place a rir roowith a wlh hen to get red sex links if the hen determined what the breed would be..
    hubby says when we go there and its not often i should continue to educate him as he needs it badly.

6. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

When he said "the hen decides what the offspring will be" me must not have the complete story. As I understand it though, the hen does determine the SEX of the offspring. Correct me if Im wrong.

7. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    sorry tn chick!

are you sure your 'friend' isnt my mother in law? i get the business from her all the time about everything i'm doing wrong and how would i want (fill the the blank) and how EVERYTHING will go wrong.

ha!nothing every really went wrong for us

and i'm guessing you are going to do just fine. do what i do - limit your time with your 'friend'... as i limit my time with my know-it-all MIL....and when he tries to tell you what he thinks just smile and sing quietly to yourself.

8. Sammysmom

Sammysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    I've known people like this. You can talk 'til you're blue in the face but it usually boils down to this..... you can't fix stupid![​IMG]

9. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Birds are no different than mammals in terms of breeding purebreds. A poodle X greyhound is not going to get you a purebred, an Arabian X morgan isn't a purebred, and a brahma X orpington isn't either.

Dh's friend is an idiot, and a bully.

10. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Oh I feel your pain. It totally irks me when someone tries to "educate" me on something I know about. And boy would I give them a lesson if they said something that ludicrous to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by