breeding chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by anjbagley, Jan 24, 2010.

1. anjbagley

anjbagley Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Star Valley Wyoming
    If I want to breed specific hens to their same breed roos , how long do I need to have them removed from the "general population" of roosters before I can start collecting and incubating pure breed eggs? I've been told that once a roo breeds that it will last for a long time. Any help would be great!

2. chaneg78

chaneg78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Hudson IN
    I've read on other posts on the same subject that they can be fertile for a month after being bred.

3. Smokin Silkies

Smokin Silkies formerly browneyebuttafly

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    I have heard that it takes about 3 weeks but you should wait at least a month to be sure

4. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    The thing is you won't really know. Every chicken varies. If in any doubt wait longer. I have read a few arguments in different post on the subject before. Some say a week or two and others say around 2-3 months. Two people I have meet in person have said never, that after a pure hen has been with another breed that she is ruined as far a pure breeding goes. I hear alot about 3weeks-a month. I say take your pic. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by