Breeding Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by vickifiveoh, Apr 1, 2012.

1. vickifiveoh

vickifiveoh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    Burnsville, NC
    Can anyone recommend a book on what colors to breed together to get different colors or the color that you want. I am just starting and can use all the advice I can get.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Not a book but you might start with these. The first one gives you a bit if chicken genetics basics. The second is a cross calculator that can get very addictive.

Genetics explanation
    http://sellers.kippenjungle.nl

Cross Calculator
    http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator

You might want to try posting in the genetics section of this forum. You might catch an expert's eye over there.

Sometimes it is better to ask about a specific color instead of the more generic questions. I find chicken genetics to be frustrating and complicated, yet fascinating. It's usually not a case of dominant versus recessive. How a specific gene acts depends a whole lot on which other genes are present, and even whether it is split or pure.

Good luck and watch out for addiction.

3. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    This is a GREAT book. You may have to read things over a bit since the way it was written.

It is called. "The Mating and Breeding Of Poultry" the authors are: Harry M Lamon and Rob, R Slocum

It has taught me a ton!

4. vickifiveoh

vickifiveoh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    Burnsville, NC
    Thank you both very much!! I am already addicted to the hatching and raising.......so this will give me one more thing to spend hours on! :D

5. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I know what you mean! I am addicted to chicks, chickens and the whole process in between! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by