breeding chickens

joojy

Songster
14 Years
Jun 11, 2008
bloomington indiana
Hi
I have a blue maran rooster and 2 blue maran hens. His crown got a little frostbitten but otherwise he is a good looking guy. How long do I need to leave him alone with the hens to ensure breeding success? Then I get him out of there and leave them alone to sit on eggs?
I also have 2 Barnvelder hens, and 4 of those roosters that I would like to breed. Do I just pick the best looking rooster?
These breeds are so expensive, I would like to have some and share them with my 4h club, no one has them.
Thanks

Hi
I have a blue maran rooster and 2 blue maran hens. His crown got a little frostbitten but otherwise he is a good looking guy. How long do I need to leave him alone with the hens to ensure breeding success? Then I get him out of there and leave them alone to sit on eggs?
I also have 2 Barnvelder hens, and 4 of those roosters that I would like to breed. Do I just pick the best looking rooster?
These breeds are so expensive, I would like to have some and share them with my 4h club, no one has them.
Thanks
you will need a few days to get the eggs fertile and they should stay fertile for a good week after you remove him.

are you hens showing signs of broodiness?

there are 15 chickens in there, I do not think that they look broody. What would be a symptom? so leave them alone a few days if they are broody? then hope they sit on the eggs?

Back
Top Bottom