1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

breeding china geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by cluckinnewbie, Mar 17, 2012.

1. cluckinnewbie

cluckinnewbie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2012
    I wanted to verify my info quickly. China geese are like chickens right, they don't go broody till they have a full nest of eggs? I have a pair and female has now laid 7 eggs over about 12 days. She has them buried under leaves and hay but spends little time with them other then the rare two times I have caught her laying one. Is it true they lay about 11-14 eggs and then go broody and hatch out after about 30 days? I have never bred geese but was told this pair is good parents. Just unsure of myself. Any advise appreciated :)

2. Auree

Auree New Egg

Mar 18, 2012
    AOA!
    Same case here. I have a pair. the goose started laying this month and has laid ten eggs till now and counting. I kept removing the eggs until the 7th egg and then thought of taking a chance with the bird keeping it in her coop. She has covered it an laid two more. Sits over them after dusk till dawn. roams around the whole day. someone told me yesterday that they dont go broody and you may be going for a ride. better incubate the eggs. this has confused me, though I am sticking with the plan.

3. cluckinnewbie

Feb 11, 2012
    I don't know what AOA means...? I don't have an incubator :( and I don't have any ducks either. Now I am sad was looking forward to some adorable goslings :'(

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I don't have Chinese, and they are swan geese and very different from the graylag geese. However, my goose collects a clutch over about 20 days and only when she has them all does she set.

If she started incubation right away, the first egg would hatch, and then 2 days later the 2nd egg would hatch, then 4 days later, the 3rd egg would hatch. I think you can see why that wouldn't work. So she starts to incubate them all at the same time so they hatch at closer to the same time.

5. cluckinnewbie

Feb 11, 2012
    Well I guess I will just wait watch and pray. She laid another egg today. I hope I get some goslings :) google has mixed info on china geese. They ARE good layers and go broody easily BUT apparently are not always good parents. If she could just hatch them out I have brooders for my other birds I just need her to set on them for me. I plan on getting some muscovies at the next TS show to help with these sorts of things.

6. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    I have a pair of Chinese and my goose never been broody she just lays the egg then leave I put two in the incubator to see if my gander is even doing his job.

7. Auree

Auree New Egg

Mar 18, 2012
    AOA means may peace be on you (in arabic - Assalam o alaykum)!
    My goose went broody big time now. Actually I put back all her eggs that I had once she went out to stretch up. Probably she got overwhelmed and has not left the nest since...she is all sprangled over the eggs and doesn't budge. the gander is all protective and does not leave her side either, though it does not share the sitting on eggs part. Letas hope all goes well. there is very strong opinion with people that the geese dont sit for all 35 days and abandon nest earlier. Hope that does not happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by