breeding chocolate OEGB for the first time and have some ???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by banjoejoe4783, Mar 19, 2012.

1. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    hi i just got some chocolate OEGB from a "breeder " i have never breed chocolate before so i did some reserch and found the if the hens are true chocolate " sex linked resesive " then by breeding them with a black roo i should hatch

100% chocolate pullets
    50% split chocolate roos
    50% black roos all roos will be black and will need to breed to see if they are split or black

but what in not shure is if they are true chocolate or dun based and the " breeder" did not know ethere

if they are dun based then what would the chart look like ?

would it be like blue with
    50% black
    50% dun ??

i guess i will have to hatch the eggs and see here is pics of the chocolate hens and the black roo they are with they look like true chocolate to me but i have seen some dark dun birds as well what do you think [​IMG][​IMG]

Jjlloyd8585 likes this.
  2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    With OEGB, it is almost certainly dun. Breeding a chocolate coloured (dun) to a black (doesn't matter which gender is which colour) will give you about half chocolate coloured and half black coloured offspring. The colouring of dun and choc is pretty much the same. I don't think you can tell which gene is involved by appearance. Breeding chocolate coloured to chocolate coloured will give half chocolate coloured, a quarter khaki and a quarter black.

3. banjoejoe4783

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    yes that is what i was wanting to know

black on dun
    50% black
    50 % dun

and dun on dun

50% dun
    25% black
    25% kaky

but if they are chocolate
    back on chocolate
    100% chocolate pullets
    100% black roos with 50% carrying the chocolate geen
    right ??????

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    khaki, not kaky [​IMG]

Note that it is extremely unlikely that they are choc. It would have had to have been bred into them from one of the very few breeds that carry choc in the US (serama, orpingtons and wyandottes are the only ones that I am aware of). Dun, on the other hand is fairly common in OEGB.

choc to choc is 100% choc
    choc male to black female is choc females (choc/-) and males heterozygous for choc (Choc+/choc)
    black male to choc female is black females (Choc+/-) and males heterozygous for choc (Choc+/choc)

het. male to choc female: half the female offspring will be choc, half black; half the males will be choc, the other half het.
    het. male to black female: half the females will be choc, the other half choc; half the males will be het., the other half black; you will not be able to tell the difference between the males without test breeding

Do you know how to make punnet squares?

5. banjoejoe4783

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok

why do you say black females ?? because everthing i have read about sex link resesive says that the hen are not able to hide the chocolate geen so all female wether heterozigous or homozigus wille be chocolate yes i know about genetics it is only the chocolate genetics that i am asking about

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by