Breeding Cochins - do you have to AI?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by D Bar J Acres, Jan 11, 2010.

1. D Bar J Acres

D Bar J Acres Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2007
    With cochins having such "fluffy pants" is it necessary to AI them? I'd just be looking for decent hatchery stock, not the overly fluffed SQ ones. This is my deciding factor if I get any or not. Thanks!

2. cochinman2005

cochinman2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Virginia
    I AI all of my Cochins (Large and Bantam). IMO you probably won't have to AI hatchery quality birds. They have much less fluff and are usually longer legged. The hatcheries go for quantity over quality. You can always trim the show quality birds around the vents to make sure they get proper contact. That way they could still breed naturally and you'll have birds that are good representatives of proper breed type according to the standard.

3. BantyMom

BantyMom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2008
    Salinas, CA
    I never had to AI or trim any of my show cochins (bantams). The roo was very good at his job and the line was very vigorous.

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I have all breeder birds- never had to AI- bantam or LF.

5. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I have and have had Show Quality Bantam and Large Fowl Cochins, never had to AI and have always had good fertillity. With young birds it may take them a bit to figure it out but they will.

6. cochinman2005

Sep 19, 2008
    Virginia
    I'll add some clarification. I AI for a several reasons. It takes out the guess work. If I set 50 eggs, I am reasonably assured that I'll have great fertility. With the abundance of feather that my birds have, it just makes more sense. I have fertile eggs when I want them and I am in and out of breeding season when I want to be. The other plus in this is that the females don't get tore up either. The large fowl especially, can wear out the feathers on the backs of the females pretty quickly. Especially on the favored hens. AI works for me. It isn't for everyone, and some won't do it at all because it's not "natural." It's a personal preference.

7. Ladyhawke1

Ladyhawke1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Forgive me for high jacking here, but inquiring minds want to know. I am not the brightest bulb on the block…but neither am I unworldly. May I inquire what “AI” means ? [​IMG]

I can assume it means removal of feathers from the butt….but and that is a big but, can you use the words here to give me a clue? Would this be done to a burglar if I he was caught climbing OUT of a person’s window? [​IMG]

8. cochinman2005

Sep 19, 2008
    Virginia
    AI - Artificial Insemination

9. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Quote:Oh gosh I hope not! LOL

AI means:

Artificial Insemination (for the purposes of this discussion anyway!) [​IMG]

10. Ladyhawke1

Ladyhawke1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:DU"OH! I should know better and I apologize if I have affended anyone. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by