Breeding coops/ pens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jenlyn9483, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Hi everyone. I am brainstorming my next projects. I have at least 4 sets of 18 day old breeding pairs of chickens that will be needing their own little hutches pretty soon. I want to see your small, moveable pens/ coops that can house 2-3 chickens with a nestbox and roost. This ought to be an interesting post, I can't wait to see what ya'll got!

2. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

I too was hoping for some responses.. maybe better in the breeding category? I dunno.

Well.. I am wondering the same, but I gues we should just be looking at larger chicken tractors.
    I'm thinking of setting up my roosters in a permanent place, and then designing chicken tractors to house the hens that pull right up to the roosters area... thats all I got for now....

3. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I have the most amazing pictures of a three level coop designed for pairs or trios of bantams. You could hold six sets in this one. Its not mine, but a friend of mine builds them. If I didn't have a large coop with pens, I would for sure use this idea. They are not yard runs, and I am not sure you would want to move them, though I imagine you could put wheels on them.
    I will post pics this afternoon.

4. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Here are the pics I promised of my friends little coops

First is the full scale coop- made with wood and hardware cloth. I live in Colorado, so, in the wintertime, he uses plastic over all the hardware cloth to give protection from the elements. He basically uses the bottom coops as storage for feeders and waterers.
    [​IMG]

One with the front door open- you can use wood shavings in here
    [​IMG]

Side view showing coop door to inside
    [​IMG]

view of coop door
    [​IMG]

People door- to retrieve eggs
    [​IMG]

To inside- add wood shavings- the roost lifts out easily for cleaning
    [​IMG]

view of inside you can see there is another window in the back for ventilation
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by