1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

breeding coops

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by silkydragon, Jan 14, 2010.

1. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    this spring i want to make some breeding pens for my silkys and cochins i was wondering if somebody could share some plans/pics of cheap easy to build pens im almost decided on hoop houses but it like the 5th 1 i cant make up my mind [​IMG]

2. spangledcornish

spangledcornish Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Southwest, WI
    this year we tried small daily move A-Frams that had a floor in part of them and we had bird that hatch chicks right in the hut. The plan is free on an extension web page http://richland.uwex.edu/ag/poultrylinks.html
    the ag agent there would just like to know if people are using it and if it is worth putting this type of stuff on line. He is very willing to talk with producers of all sizes

we built 4 of them and have palns to build more this spring, they also worked well for growing out young birds. nice part about the floor in part of it was during the rain and poor weather the birds stayed nice and dry.

3. ninny

ninny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    Quote:How many birds could fit comfy in there?

4. spangledcornish

spangledcornish Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Southwest, WI
    we had 4 standard breeders in each group but at the 2sq feet per bird the back area is 4x4 so I would say it could hand 8 birds very easily, and total pen space of 40 sq feet.

5. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    was hoping more ppl would chime in with plans thanks spangled that a-frame looks rly nice we may make a few of them

6. Outbackhill Kennels

Outbackhill Kennels Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    For my bantam cochins and silkies I use 4 x 4 pens with either a trio or pair. Works good and don't take up too much room. They're only in there when I'm breeding they are moved to larger pens for when they aren't breeding.

7. MiniBeesKnees

MiniBeesKnees Chillin' With My Peeps

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3460097 Post #8
    This post has directions on how I make 'fence panels' out of metal electrical conduit.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=286698 Post #6
    A bit more on these panels used as breeding pens.

I make two panels and zip tie them together on one side, and make an A frame using a panel without the fencing on it for the bottom...it sits right on the ground. A 4 x 6.5 feet each there is 26 sq feet in each one. The whole thing is held together with zip ties. The ends can be closed in with a half of a four by four piece of fencing cut on the diagonal. I close one end with bungee cords so I can open the 'door'.

I'm planning on putting a rooster in there with a hen...and letting her raise chicks right in there. I may or may not remove the rooster to a separate pen depending on his attitude. My D'Uccle was a good daddy. Since they are A frames...there is no common side for the roosters to fight through though. As seen from an end they go like such: ^^^^^^

Hope that gives you some ideas...
    Terry from TN

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by