Breeding Cornish Rocks

BirchHatchery

Songster
10 Years
Nov 2, 2009
indiana
herd of people who have kept cornish rocks to breeding age. I need to no how long of feeding to give them a day right now i have them on 4-5 hrs of feed a day they are 9 days old they are very active birds since they only get so much feed wich is good any ideas or sources or info anyone has that is trien this i am not breeding these cornish xs together im goin to cross them with a diffrent breed

thanks im jus waiting on brunty farms or somone who has done this who can tell me what kind of feed managment i should do

I would answer you but I have no idea. Your dearth of responses is because people don't normally raise them, and even when they do they don't tend to breed them. Jeff's project is still in its infancy and his birds still relatively young.

I think I have read a total of one person on this board who has actually bred them and the details were sketchy, just to the point "I did it."

It remains to be seen whether it can be done and I'm very curious, which is why I'm paying attention to anyone who is trying to do it.

So, don't get discouraged if nobody is answering. We are paying attention, we just don't have the answers to your questions.

I had several CX hens reach maturity and lay lovely, big brown eggs. I didn't hatch any of them, I didn't have a 'bator at the time, and before I had any broodies to put eggs under, they'd all died from CHF. Roos may be harder to keep going, but if you just want to keep the hens and breed them, I don't see any reason you couldn't. You might have a narrow window of opportunity, though, so if I wanted to do this, I be sure and have an incubator available, to hatch out the eggs. You might only have afew months of egg laying before you start losing them. Or thay may go on a long time, I have heard of several peopple who kept CX hens for quite some time.

Quote:
Vacation? Hahaha... I wish. I've been really busy getting ready for the season to start. I'm in the process of building a high tunnel and have been working sun up til' sun down. I'm just now getting ready to eat some dinner.

But I sent you a PM....

Low protein, feed them once a day, and let them free range as much as possible.

thanks for the replys! I have to feeds availble to me a layer feed wich is lower protien and broiler feed wich is higher proties i should feed the layer feed to them then? I feed mine once a day now but i need to no what the length of the feeding i should do let them eat for a hour or what? Right now i only put the feed in for them for 5 hours a day and they are very active once their outta feed for a cuple hours.

I no their people out their who do this or are doing it i have read that a brown broiler is nothing more than a average cornish rock cross with a rhode island red?

i have also herd of a new breed the corndell cross or somthing like that that is a cornish rock crossed with a early strain of deleware broiler?

what i would like to creat is a good meat bird with excellent egg laying abaility yall may laugh at me but i want to cross them with leghorns a leghorn on cornish rock hen n a cornish rock roo on a leghorn breed together then keep cross till i can get a good sized carcess with High Egg yeilding. Which what makes meat better than a cornish rock and what lays better than a leghorn may be a while goose chase but im gonna try it

Back
Top Bottom