Breeding Coronation Sussex

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by J.Dogg, Jul 8, 2011.

  1. J.Dogg

    J.Dogg Out Of The Brooder

    12
    0
    22
    Jul 3, 2011
    Hello,

    I just bought a beautiful Coronation Sussex pullet. I would like to know the quickest way to breed pure without a Coronation Rooster? I have a Lavender Orpington and I am getting a Light Sussex Rooster. Would it be possible to breed one of these roosters to her and then breed one of her sons back to her?


    Thanks and God Bless,


    J.Dogg
     
  2. lucky123

    lucky123 Chillin' With My Peeps

    364
    10
    111
    Sep 12, 2009
    Cullman,Al
    I would think the only possible way to breed pure would be back to a coronation rooster. I guess its possible if you have a light sussex with the coronation gene to produce some coronation.
     
  3. Saltysteele

    Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

    624
    4
    121
    Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    if you bred the light sussex rooster to her, the first generation would be split sussex (this is what my breeding chickens are - split - out of 11 eggs, i got 3 coro's, or 25% roughly), and they would all look like light sussex. when you breed a pair of light sussex together, you get 25% coro's (which are full coro), 50% split and 25% light.

    so, you'd have to wait until the 2nd generation to get another coro
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by