Breeding Coturnix Colors

Discussion in 'Quail' started by WaterfowlWierdo, Nov 26, 2013.

1. WaterfowlWierdo

WaterfowlWierdo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    I have some Rosetta(British Range) coturnix and some tuxedo of Tibetan (Dark British Range) If I cross the two will I eventually get a Tibetan or do I cross the tuxedos until one comes out?

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

If there is a tuxedo involved on the dark colors you are always going to get tuxedo offspring.

3. WaterfowlWierdo

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    What if I cross a rosetta with a tuxedo, will I ever get a solid colored bird?

4. dc3085

In my experience no. However I have not tried doing it for multiple generations consecutively ie breeding the offspring of a tux/rosetta cross back to a rosetta, then doing it again with those offspring. It is possible. Assuming it would be about a year faster for you to order the tibetans from JMF or some other place.

5. WaterfowlWierdo

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    Thank you for saving me from the trouble! Will definitely try to acquire some soon!

6. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Here is the link for JMF. You will definitely be impressed with the quaility their eggs. My first purchase of eggs (from a vendor that will remain un-named), the survival rate was very poor with several that needed to be culled compared to JMF. Every JMF egg that hatched had a healthy chick that grew much bigger than the quail from my first 2 hatches.
    James

7. dc3085

James how do you drop a link in like that?

8. WaterfowlWierdo

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    thanks James!

9. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    You're welcome, you will not be disappointed. And if you call, get a pencil and a ton of paper ready to take notes. Robbie is a genious when it comes to quail. If you fail to record what he says, you will mess up a great opportunity to learn from a "master". I still have the scribbles from when I called him in April.

Sent you a PM. Hope it helps.

Spending the weekend making 2 more cages. I'll try to post some pics if I some time. Yeah, who am I trying to kid???

10. WaterfowlWierdo

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    Will be sure to do that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by