breeding Cream Legbars from scratch

gone fishin'

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 5, 2009
I was thinking of breeding Cream Legbars from what I understand are the 3 species that were crossed to get the Cream Legbar: Araucana, Barred Rock, and Brown Leghorn,

I remember hearing it's a female this with a male that, etc., and it's important to get it right to get the sex linking.

Does anyone know what the proper "recipe" is to get a cream legbar. Anyone done it and have any experience to share?

I used to breed Cream Legbars back in Britain.

The main ingredients would be as you said, araucanas (UK type with crest), brown leghorn, & barred rock. You would also need to add the cream gene (ig).

Cram Legbars were first created by Prof. Punnett. I think he was having fun.
big_smile.png

He split the pea comb gene from the blue egg gene, improved egg size & production from that of UK araucanas, kept the crest, added the cream gene & made the birds autosexing.
cool.png

If I wanted to make them from scratch, I'd make them in stages I think, maybe starting with splitting the pea comb from the blue egg gene while putting the blue eggs & crest onto brown leghorns being careful to keep the yellow, then add cream being careful to keep the earlier acquired traits, the adding the barring last; still being carful to keep earlier acquired traits.
th.gif

Which this reminds me Krys, dont they have cream light brown leghorns over in the UK? I know we have cream light brown dutch here in the US, if someone wanted to they could cross the dutch and LB leghorns to get cream lb bantam leghorns then work on getting those largefowl then work on it from there. Kinda like one of my dream projects, it would be easier to combine some breeds to make a new color in one before trying the other steps.

cream light brown leghorns over in the UK?

I don't know how frequent cream is in brown leghorns, but I had some. Yes, they are the same colour as the cream light brown Dutch bantams.​

Thanks Krys and Flying...

I still am not sure about the sex of each bird, I remember it was something like a male of this crossed with a female of that, then take the offspring of a certain sex and cross it with the other bird of the opposite sex. My understanding was that to get it right, there was a specific requirement for which sex which parent was.

So any more info appreciated...

I remember it was something like a male of this crossed with a female of that, then take the offspring of a certain sex and cross it with the other bird of the opposite sex. My understanding was that to get it right, there was a specific requirement for which sex which parent was.

That sounds like you are referring to making autosexing breeds in general. This is the part where one puts in the barring. A Cream Legbar has much more to it than the other autosexing breeds. I think when making the Cream Legbar, Prof.Punnett was having fun & being clever.
cool.png

I'm attempting the same thing - I'll think I'll just be happy with an autosexing legbar, and not worry so much about the "cream" part until I can research more on chicken genes & breeding. I know the FINAL step is probably a Rooster Brown Leghorn/Ameracauna cross with a Barred Rock Hen. I WANT the peacomb, along with the blue eggs. But it will take me several years to get there. Where are you so far?

Today you would not need to use a Barred Rock ... you could use a Barred Holland.... just a thought...

Keith
SC
Hampbars

Back
Top Bottom