1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

breeding cuckoo EE

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by poultrycrazy, Dec 30, 2010.

1. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    If i breed an all white EE hen to a WC cuckoo frizz polish will i get a cuckoo green egg layer?

2. Georgia Boy 1970

Georgia Boy 1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

To get green eggs you would have to breed your hen to a rooster from a brown egg laying breed. Being that polish are white egg layers, the eggs layed from that cross will probably be lighter.That is if your hen lays green eggs. I like the polishXee cross. I have a solid blue polishXee cross hen that lays a very light green egg. Plus I have more polishXee cross chicks in the brooder along with chicks from my polishXee hen bred back to white crested chocolate(dun)polish. I like the polishXee cross,all the unusual colors of the ee with little crest and beards. Your breeding of the two should produce some pretty and unusual chicks but probably no dark green layers.

3. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    What is i breed it back to the EE hen?

4. Georgia Boy 1970

Georgia Boy 1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

You would probably recover some of your green egg color if you cross a f1 male(frizzle cuckoo polish maleXwhite ee female)back to the mama hen.

5. riverman

riverman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2010
    Central Tx
    Does the EE have to be white for the green egg trait to transfer correctly?

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    White to a WC Cuckoo will give sex-linked offspring. The males will be barred, but mostly white, so you'll not see the barring. The Females will be mostly white.

They will still be considered Easter Eggers though, as they will still lay colored eggs, but very pale. I myself have an EE that is half Polish, half Easter Egger. She lays pale blue eggs.

If you want GREEN eggs, cross to a brown egg layer.

7. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:But the EE HEN is the white one, it would need to be the a White rooster on Cuckoo hens for the sexlinkage. But either way, like you said the Dom white is going to be an obstacle in this project becuase so of the chicks are going to have the cuckoo masked by the dom white until it is bred out.

It seems the OP is probably trying to use what birds are already on hand but the project would be much easier if a non white EE and was bred with a Barred Rock or a Cuckoo Marans rooster.

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Ah yes, got the hen and rooster mixed up.

9. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    IMO your best bet is to breed either:
    Barred Rock to Black or Blue Ameraucana
    or
    Cuckoo Maran to Black or Blue Ameraucana

10. riverman

riverman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2010
    Central Tx
    Quote:But the EE HEN is the white one, it would need to be the a White rooster on Cuckoo hens for the sexlinkage. But either way, like you said the Dom white is going to be an obstacle in this project becuase so of the chicks are going to have the cuckoo masked by the dom white until it is bred out.

It seems the OP is probably trying to use what birds are already on hand but the project would be much easier if a non white EE and was bred with a Barred Rock or a Cuckoo Marans rooster.

So breeding a Barred Rock Roo to an off-white EE lady will give me barred chickens laying green and blue eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by