Breeding Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by [email protected] Raiser, Dec 6, 2008.

1. tileman@prodigBird Raiser

[email protected] Raiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    How do people breed there ducks. I already have some but they are rouens. I just free range them during the day and at night pen the up. I ant to start raising and breeding other type of ducks but don't know how to seperate them from eachother. I do go way alot some room enough in the pen is good but i have limited space. I was thinking of doing a 3' wide by 2' long shelter and then a 3' by 3' outside run(but still inside the cage). Then with some flexible fenceing doing a little area in the grass outside the pen for them to be during the day. That way they are seperated by breed and still have room.

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I have 2 pair of pekins, one of cayuga and one of rouen. They all live together on the pond atm, but I plan on seperating them for a few months only in the spring for pure eggs. After their 2 or 3 month seperation they will all be back together as a group. My plan is to have 2 10x10 pens for each of the single pairs, and maybe a 15x15 for the 2 pekins. I think ducks need a lot more room per bird than chickens do. Mine will be rotated out to have access to the pond, so they won't be to aggravated by being penned up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by