breeding easter eggers to ameraucana standard of perfection?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cgmaster, Feb 15, 2015.

1. cgmaster

cgmaster Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2014
    Thatcher,AZ
    I was wondering if i could breed my ameraucana roo with easter eggers to the standard of perfection and eventually have ameraucanas that breed true? If i am correct isnt that how they originally came about? Bred up from easter eggers? Also i have an easter egger that lays a light tan egg whats up with that?

2. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    Theoretically. You would just keep breeding pullets back to their father and grandfathers. Breed the sons to their mothers or aunts. There are breeding charts online that show you how to do that. Once you reach like 15/16 you have basically an Ameraucana. I'm not sure I would broadcast it too much since most Ameraucana breeders wouldn't use Easter Eggers as breeders today for many reasons. There are many folk who look down on Easter Eggers, for good reasons and silly.

The brown egg ... that's the whole thing with hatchery Easter Eggers. Some hatcheries mix them with other breeds to keep their egg production up. When they do that, some of them end up laying brown eggs. If you use that hen to breed with, never hatch a brown egg. Eventually you should be able to only have green-egg-laying hens. The best idea, though, is to not start with a brown egg Easter Egger.

So, yes, have some fun! One of the old time chicken breeders somewhere said something like, "Start with what you've got."

3. cgmaster

Mar 30, 2014
    Thatcher,AZ
    She isnt a hatchery easter egger, she is a descendent of my flock i had when i was little she has obvious traits from silkies, turquoise earlobes, black skin, brown eyes, slight crest but she also has slate legs she doesnt have a pea comb though so i suspect her mother was an easter egger and her father was a silkie (i was to young for me to remember exactly wwhat her mother was but i remember colored eggs soo...). In my understanding some might consider my roo an easter egger because of his color. He is a wheaten but he has the mahogony gene instead of the gold gene. Do you have any links that could help me?

4. Spangled

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    In the meantime, you've probably already seen this thread, but it's a little interesting.

QUECHUA /Tojuda/ Ameraucana/ Easter Eggers{ In vino veritas

Edited to fix link.

Um. Edited to add that the administrators at BYC edited my post when they moved this thread. Fine by me, but just for the record.... Hopefully someone has some answers for the Original Poster.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  5. cgmaster

Mar 30, 2014
    Thatcher,AZ
    Is that a link? Because it isnt working

6. Spangled

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
  7. cgmaster