1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

breeding easter eggers?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by poultrycrazy, Nov 22, 2010.

1. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    What do you get when you breed a white EE hen to a white with brown on its back and wings, some black on its neck and a lavender color at the base of the tail? thanks

Heres a pic of the rooster:

[​IMG]

the hen is just white

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    First, that's blue on his tail. [​IMG] Lavender is only available in true Ameraucanas.

But, you'll get solid white chicks, if the female is also a dominant white. The male there is a duckwing with dom white in him as well as blue in him. So, the offspring will be solid white, but still carry the blue and duckwing genetics.

3. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    how do i know if the hen is dominent white?

4. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:Question! What's the difference between duckwing and red-shouldered? I would have guessed the latter over splash.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If the hen passes white chicks, it is a dominant white hen. If it does not, it is a recessive white.

Red Shouldered is basically Dom white and solid gold (no silver in them) Duckwing. This bird here is either a splash w/duckwing or a blue w/dominant white and duckwing. To be a red shouldered, it would be solid white with red shoulders and saddle/hackle.

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    ChickenWisperer,

This might help,

Black Breasted Red [Duck-Wing] Note the triangle in the lower part of the wing [that triangle makes it a Duck-Wing].--
    not my bird
    [​IMG]

Brown Red [Crow-Wing] Note there is no triangle in the lower part of the wing. --
    not my bird
    [​IMG]

Chris

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I thought he meant red shouldered like the Yokohamas or Red Pyle coloring. . . ?

8. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:Yeah, I meant coloring like Yokohamas. Thanks for the info! By the way, I'm a she (no offense taken!) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by