1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breeding EEs question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by druidgirl, Jun 14, 2016.

1. druidgirl

druidgirl Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2016
    I've got two ee's, a cockerel and a pullet. When they mature, I want to breed them because they're both the same coloring and both are docile and quiet. Wont let me post pics, but they look brown and red mottled/barred. The male has slate legs and the female pink legs with a slight slate wash. My question is, if I breed them, will I be able to tell the gender of the chicks by their leg color? Or would it be completely random? If they are siblings (idk if they are, they're hatchery stock from the feed store), will the offspring be well, messed up?

2. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    Random leg coloring really and even more, EE's are essentially mutts so their offspring could really be all over the place depending on the genetics that are buried in them. A lot of people breed related stock and realistically, on a small scale operation - you'll probably see no stereotypical inbred issues that we're afraid of. It's probably safe to start your flock with these two, eventually you can separate lines or add new blood to your flock if you're concerned about it.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Need to see pictures of the birds to even try to guess at what offspring they will produce.

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    And no, hatchery birds may be cousins or half-siblings, but not likely to be direct brothers/sisters. It takes several generations of intense line breeding for genetic abnormalities to become problematic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by