Breeding egg color

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by chicken stalker, Oct 23, 2008.

1. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    Beside those who raise marans, do people breed for cool egg colors. Do I dare say .......cross breed chickens just for cool egg colors. If you do what colors do you have and what crosses did you make?

2. tfpets

tfpets Mmm, tastes like chicken

Hey, I want answers too!!! Someone answer here!!
    I did visit a lady who says her lime green egg with brown spots was a Cuckoo Marans/Delaware cross. So I have the Cuckoo Marans and I got a Delaware... I plan on crossing them so that I can raise the mix for the eggs! Thats in the future!
    The Olive Egger's are supposed to be a Mix of the Dark Egg layer of some sort and an Easter Egger, people make them on purpose.
    I would love to find out what mixes make what. Im hoping some of my current EE's are the yellow egg layers!!

Good luck finding out!
    Tina/tfpets
    (Egg obsessed)

3. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    cool. lime green. I wish you had a pic of that! I really like greating wild colored eggs. I'm hoping that one of my EE's lays an almost turquise egg. Keeping my fingers crossed.

4. tfpets

chicken stalker ;p :

cool. lime green. I wish you had a pic of that! I really like greating wild colored eggs. I'm hoping that one of my EE's lays an almost turquise egg. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm after the yellow eggs! I have cuckoo marans, they are laying a 4 or 5 on the Marans color scale - and I have Black Copper Marans that are too young to lay yet. My EE's are too young too! I just hatched 3 True Araucana and they lay the true blue eggs! I am going to keep a few of my larger mix breeds to see what they lay!

Right now I have brown, light brown, pinkish, white, and really dark brown. I need more color! Oh, I get the occasional very light green from an Ancient Ameraucana.

Take care!

Tina​

5. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    If you get any yellow eggs, i want to see a pic of it/them, better yet I would love to have one to blow out to add to my egg collection..............

6. tfpets

Quote:I've been told that the EE's from Privett hatchery lay yellow eggs, or they offer yellow egg layers in their collections, but they are at random. I happen to have several EE's from Privett so [​IMG]

Tina

7. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed that you get a yeller egg or 2, good luck................

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by