Breeding Enclosures/Set Up for Chickens, Ducks, and Turkeys Advice

ShadowsFIAL

Songster
10 Years
Jul 29, 2009
Fort Worth, Tx
Hello, I am planning out my little dream breeding house. I plan to breed I am going to be housing 11 different breeds. I plan to have a 70'x30' building. With 14 different 10'x10' rooms. One of these rooms will be used as an incubation and brooder as well as food, supplements, and bedding storage. Two other rooms will be used as grow out coops for chicks that do not get re-homed or for future stock that needs to be sifted through. One for the turkeys and one for the chickens. I plan to have 7 breeds of chicken and one just for fun mixed flock, two breeds of turkey, and Muscovy ducks. How many birds do you think are suitable to house in these conditions? The turkeys and ducks will have 500sq-ft runs, and the chickens will have 200sq-ft runs, the grow out pens for the turkeys are 500sq-ft and the chickens is 400sq-ft. I also plan to have a separate isolation building that is 30'x30' with 12 5'x10' coops for introducing new birds, isolating sick or injured flock members, or keeping replacement roosters. How many roosters and hens, toms and hens, and drakes and hens, would you keep in this kind of set up? Would a 8'x15' pond be decent size for the duck pen? I would be grateful for any advice!!

Breeds I am going to keep:
Chickens:
  1. Salmon Faverolle
  2. Blue Frizzle Turken
  3. Red Shouldered Yokohama
  4. Araucana
  5. Silver Laced Cochin
  6. Crevecoeur
  7. Belgian Bearded Quail D'anver

Turkeys:
  1. Royal Palm
  2. Standard Bronze
Ducks:
  1. Muscovy

Sounds like a pretty good plan. Can't give any advice on turkey and duck needs but....

I would suggest that you get some graph paper and sketch it all out to scale, using the squares on the paper as units of measurements. This will give you a good overall look at the space you have and how to break it up into functional areas.

I'm a design drafter by trade and this is how I think best, you can make alot of mistakes(and fix them) on paper much easier than in building materials. It also give you the opportunity to try different layouts until you find the one that will work best. You can size areas for the number of birds you want there.

I plan to have two roosters and sixteen hens in each pen, two toms and 8 hens in each turkey pen, and two drakes and ten ducks. Does this sound reasonable? Then there will be room for 6 more hens in each chicken pen, two more hens in each turkey pen, and two more ducks in each duck pen. Except of course for the bantams that will have tons of space unless I split their space in half like I was thinking about and adding another bantam breed.

Sounds like a pretty good plan. Can't give any advice on turkey and duck needs but....

I would suggest that you get some graph paper and sketch it all out to scale, using the squares on the paper as units of measurements. This will give you a good overall look at the space you have and how to break it up into functional areas.

I'm a design drafter by trade and this is how I think best, you can make alot of mistakes(and fix them) on paper much easier than in building materials. It also give you the opportunity to try different layouts until you find the one that will work best. You can size areas for the number of birds you want there.
I don't have graph paper, but I am using notebook paper to kind of sketch it out. This is all planning for probably five years or so down the road, nothing big right now. I just would like to get my spacing and everything figured out. I also need to look for good lines for all the bird breeds.

I plan to have two roosters and sixteen hens in each pen, two toms and 8 hens in each turkey pen, and two drakes and ten ducks. Does this sound reasonable? Then there will be room for 6 more hens in each chicken pen, two more hens in each turkey pen, and two more ducks in each duck pen. Except of course for the bantams that will have tons of space unless I split their space in half like I was thinking about and adding another bantam breed.
I don't know, you'll have to figure out space and population requirements.

Quote: Go to any decent office supply store and get some graph paper, single pad will cost under $5......'Sketching' things out 'not to scale' can get you in trouble and it's good to do your planning to scale right off the bat so you don't waste time redesigning if you've miscalculated by guessing.

Back
Top Bottom