Breeding for Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by birdwrangler057, Nov 6, 2016.

1. birdwrangler057

birdwrangler057 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    Hello everyone,
    I have an Ameraucana Cochin cross-breed Hen and Rooster, I am thinking about breeding them, but have never bred any chickens. Can someone give me some pointers on breeding these? Thanks

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Nest site hen that is a little elevated and lined so eggs do not role on a hard surface. For hatching eggs I give a little more protein in diet.

You can either remove rooster when she begins brooding or leave him.

Hen in lay yet?

3. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    What kind of pointers are you looking for? The basics like egg collection and incubating?

We can't really give you pointers on selecting chicks or anything because we don't know what you want to select for, and they're not a real breed so we can't help you select to a standard because there isn't one :)

1 person likes this.
  4. birdwrangler057

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    I don't want to select chicks, I want to breed two chickens that are a cross between Ameraucana and Cochin. I really want some tips on fertilized eggs and getting them to breed.

Here is some info on them;

Breed: Ameraucana/Cochin

They both came from the same parents and neither are fully mature. I really would like to breed them in spring when they are completely matured.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The black and white one is the cock, and the jet black one is the hen

5. birdwrangler057

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    I really just want the basics to breeding hens and incubating eggs. :thumbsup

6. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Pretty! I think you probably mean 33 weeks?

Anyway, keep them together. If you have other roosters, you will need to separate the hen from them for three weeks before you can say for sure the rooster you want has fertilized her eggs.

Fertilized eggs can be stored for ten days before they start to lose viability, so could save up ten days' worth of eggs before you set them.

What kind of incubator will you be using? There are differences on how you want to incubate depending on if it is still air or forced air.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  7. birdwrangler057

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    No, I'm serious, they are 33 weeks (roughly 7 months) old. I don't know a thing about breeding, but would like to.

8. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Lol, that's what I meant, but I had a brain fart when I typed that. At seven months old, they are old enough to be breeding. If the hen is laying, you could go head and start hatching now if you want.

9. birdwrangler057

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    I'm ready any time, but the female is kind of a late starter, so I'm stopped until she's ready. will the hen lay on the eggs or should I purchase an incubator? I only have one hen I want to breed with the roo so do I just put them together in a seperate coop, and do you have any special suggestions for incubators? Thanks [​IMG]

10. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Being that she's half cochin she's very likely to hatch eggs at some point, but she will do it on her schedule and not yours, and if you want to be able to incubate all or most of her eggs or want to have chicks on your timeframe and not hers, an incubator is the way to go.

Personally I recommend a Brinsea. They are excellent set and forget incubator. However, they are a little pricey. I have heard that people love their Hovabators, which would be a cheaper option.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by