Breeding for Cuteness now! Who's with me?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Sumatra503, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    Lately my show breeding has been hitting some bumps. My chicken run has been down-graded in size. My neighbor filed a noise complaint, even though our houses are considered rural. Winters here have been getting pretty bad. All this added up is making me favor those Cuties more and more.

My final deciding factor for switching over was when I was deciding on entries for State Fair and I picked the two seramas "cause they're cuter". I left my show birds at home and brought my pets to show instead.

I've now decided that I really like the idea of having a few Pet chickens that are Cute chickens, too. I have always liked Cute Chickens. I often times will buy a little mixed cutie over a show bird. I have decided that it'd be more enjoyable to just breed for cute and for fun than adhering to breed standards and stressing over quality breeding stock.

So, looks like I'll be breeding for Cuteness now! Yippeee!

The possibilities are literally endless.

Who's with me, here?

I'm doing what I love with a lot less stress.

2. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Whoo-hoo, sounds good; sounds like a plan!

3. Sumatra503

Sep 24, 2010
    Already got some Cuties going here!

[​IMG]

Cutie #1. Cochin cross with a friendly disposition.

[​IMG]
    Cutie #2. Bantam Brahma cross. loves to cuddle!

[​IMG]
    Minnie. Seabright cross. I love her lacing.

[​IMG]
    Charles, my PQ serama roo.

[​IMG]
    Percilla, my PQ serama hen.

4. sezjasper

sezjasper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    I think cute wins over "perfect" every time! Your chickens are beautiful!

5. Sumatra503

Sep 24, 2010
    My Doms went to their new home and I picked upsome new birds at the sow this weekend, so I'm now off to a good start for my breeding program.

In total I brought home, 3 silkies, 3 bantam favorelles, 2 buff columbian D'uccles, 2 salmon D'uccles crosses(with rose combs and no vulture hocks), 1 red pyle OEGB roo, 1 Partridge Wyandott roo, and 1 black mottle cochin hen. This added to 1 blue laces seabright cross, 2 PQ seramas gives me a lot of genetics to play with. I will also be getting a naked necked hen later on and plan to add a fizzle of some breed or other to the mix as well.

Since I'm breeding for "cute" cross breeding no longer matters, so I will be playing with genetics a lot. Fo instance, a frizzle/naked neck and silkie/favorelles, and d'uccles to most everybody.

Some pics of a couple of the new birds.

[​IMG]
    The D'uccle cross roo

[​IMG]
    OEGB roo

[​IMG]
    My silkie hen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by