1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breeding for egg color

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CarriesPeeps, Feb 23, 2013.

1. CarriesPeeps

CarriesPeeps Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2013
    Priest River, Idaho
    I am new to selective breeding my chickens and am wondering do layers inherit egg color from the hen or the rooster? For example, if I put a New Hampshire rooster over a Cuckoo Maran hen will the offspring lay dark brown eggs?

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    There are many genes asso iated with egg colour. Most are autosomal (contributed by both male amd female equally).

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    There are many genes asso iated with egg colour. Most are autosomal (contributed by both male amd female equally).

4. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    as you said. Most are...so using a Maran rooster over NH hen will assure all of the other sex linked genes that may be pressent on the Maran line will be inherited by both the males and Females...

if I would bet I would bet that a BCM roo x NH hen will produce darker eggers females. than a NH roo over BCM hens...

5. CarriesPeeps

CarriesPeeps Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2013
    Priest River, Idaho
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by