Breeding for good genetics!

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by devinwallin1, Jun 11, 2016.

1. devinwallin1

devinwallin1 New Egg

Apr 26, 2015
    I am 17 years old and have all of the breeds I want and they are just about ready to start laying eggs! How do I know if I have good quality? And what do I do to keeping making my breeds better?

2. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    Where did you get your birds?

3. devinwallin1

devinwallin1 New Egg

Apr 26, 2015
    Most from Murray Mcmurray

4. Donna R Raybon

Donna R Raybon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2016
    Join the American Poultry Association and get a current Standard of Excellence. Find your local poultry group, usually they are ones who put on local shows. Attend local shows and meet/talk to exhibitors and judges. Most breeds have an organized breed club, too, which will help you find good stock.

Read all you can about the history of the breeds you have and what breeders have done in past. In doing that you can also find out a lot about common faults found in your breed that you may encounter. Find who is local enough to you to sell you stock and mentor. Good way to do that is through APA Yearbook researching who is winning at shows.

What breeds are you interested in working on improving? Start with one or two because hatching and growing out a lot of birds is expensive.

5. devinwallin1

devinwallin1 New Egg

Apr 26, 2015
    Probably the blue laced red Wyandottes and dark brahmas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by