1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breeding For Olive Eggs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Horseshoe, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Horseshoe

Horseshoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Loganville Ga.
    Breeding a ISBAR leghorn over maran hens would this give you olive eggs from the chicks.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I’m assuming your ISBAR is one from stock that lays blue or green eggs, probably green.

Will that cross produce an olive egg layer? There is a pretty good chance, but it depends on a couple of things.

How dark an egg does the Maran lay? I know Marans are supposed to lay dark eggs, but not all people that breed Marans breed for the dark eggs. The darker the Maran egg, the better your chances for an olive color.

If your ISBAR rooster is pure for the blue egg gene, you are in great shape. The blue egg gene can be a bit tricky because it is dominant. The way it works is that there is one specific gene that determines if the egg base color is blue or white. These genes come in pairs. Since blue is dominant, if just one of those two genes is blue, the egg will be base blue. Brown or green is just brown laid on top of the base color.

A rooster obviously does not lay eggs so you don’t know for sure if he has one or two blue egg genes. If he is from a line of green egg laying hens and was hatched from a green egg, he has an excellent chance of producing green egg laying daughters. With the Maran providing some really dark brown to go over that base blue, there is a real good chance that the egg will be olive color.

There are a lot of different shades of brown because there are a lot of different genes that can add brown. I’ve read that 13 different ones have been identified and I’m sure there are a lot not yet identified. What actual shade you wind up with will depend on what brown genes the rooster and the hen contribute, but if the Maran hen is laying really dark eggs the odds are really great that you will get what you are looking for.

I know. A lot of writing just to say your odds are pretty darn good. Good luck!!

3. Horseshoe

Horseshoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Loganville Ga.
    I though that was the way it would work Just wanted someones advice. Isbars I have lay green eggs and they want have pea combs like everyone talks about with the oliver eggers.

Thank You,
    Ray

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by