Breeding for pure...

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by krazykat0373, Oct 14, 2012.

1. krazykat0373

krazykat0373 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2012
    Southeast Oklahoma
    Good morning y'all [​IMG]

I am fairly new to turkeys...so a question for you more experienced turkey lovers out there.

I have royal palms and blue slate turkeys....right now they are all together....for pure breeding in the spring, when should I seperate them?

Thanks,
    kat

2. MarineCorpFarmr

MarineCorpFarmr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    AL/TN Stateline
    My Coop
    Down here i plan to separate my breeds at the end of feb, unless i start finding eggs earlier. Im pretty new to them to so Id like to see others input too

3. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    I live in Southeastern, Louisiana, so it warms up fast in the spring, as soon as the daylight hours start lengthening, all the birds start steppin' up their laying and first the ducks and then the turkeys join in. This year we had a very mild winter, so the turkeys started in late February, but I think it would depend more on location, but if it were me, I would separate them a couple weeks before they were expected to start laying. If I am not mistaken, the male sperma can stay viable in the female for about 10 days. This is what I have heard, but if someone with more knowledge, knows better, I would welcome the correction. I would not want to be wasting those great turkey eggs eating them, rather than hatching out more little turks? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by