Breeding for purebred chickens...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DayDream Farm, Feb 11, 2014.

1. DayDream Farm

DayDream Farm New Egg

Feb 11, 2014
    I have a mixed flock of hens including 2 RIR, 4 Turkens, 4 Black Copper Marans, 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Polish, 1 Silver Laced Wyondotte. 1 Black Australorp, 1 Australorp cross, 2 Barred Rocks, 1 Cuckoo Marans and 2 Easter eggers. 8 of these hens I was given by a neighbor who was moving cross country. The past couple years my focus has been on Black Copper Marans and the rest of my flock are my original hens. I lost my BCM roo during some freakishly cold weather and now need a new roo. I have been offered a BCM roo and/or a Crevecoeur Roo. I have researched Crevecoeurs and would love to get some - the lady has a couple hens I could buy also, however I would still like to have and breed my BCM's. I am thinking of getting both roos as well as the 2 Crevecoeur hens. I have plenty of space for them but they would all be together.

My question is, how long does a hen have to be with the same breed rooster to have pure bred chicks? In other words, if I kept the whole flock together could I separate the BCM roo and BCM hens for a period of time before gathering eggs to hatch?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Jen
    Daydream Farms

2. KPenley

KPenley Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    Most breeders tend to wait 3-4 weeks for a hen to clear out before collecting eggs. :D

3. DayDream Farm

DayDream Farm New Egg

Feb 11, 2014
    Great. Thanks.

Jen
    DayDream Farm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by