1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breeding for Sex links

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tdgill, Nov 5, 2009.

1. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

Do I have any combinations to use that would produce sexlinked chicks?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    You need a barred female to make a sex link. Not sure if a cuckoo marans can breed sex links.

A buff orp rooster X barred rock female would give you a sex link. (gold I think)
    Any red rooster X barred rock female would give a black sex link.

Just checked here and it says ANY barred female.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/breeds/star/20741

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2009
  3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    California
    RIR-Barred Rock, RIR-White Leghorn are the crosses that come to mind. I'm sure there are others.

4. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I've been researching the heck out of this because my oldest wants to create sex links.

So we hatched welsummers and are keeping 1 rooster to cross with our BR to make a black sex link.

5. Kennyog

Kennyog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Oak Grove
    Black Sex Links- Rhode Island Red(Or New Hampshire) Rooster crossed with a Barred Rock Hen.
    Black Sex Link Female Chicks- Solid Black.
    Black Sex Link Male Chicks- Black with white spot on top of their head.

Red Sex Links- Rhodes Island Red(Or New Hampshire) Rooster crossed with a White Rock,Silver Laced Wyandotte,Rhode Island White,or Delaware Hen.
    Red Sex Link Female Chicks-Buff or Red.
    Red Sex Link Male Chicks-White.

Hope this helps.Take care!

6. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

you guys are awesome thanks!
    I felt guilty for posting this question without researching more first. But your posts are extremely helpful! :)

7. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:I did not realize you could get a sex link with a welsummer until I saw postings of eggs for sale in the hatching eggs section. I wanted welsummer's anyway, so it was the icing on the cake.

8. neferset

neferset Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    It's always Some Breed Roo X Barred Rock hen for the black sexlink? The reason I ask is I got hatching eggs over the summer for EE Sexlinks (Supposed to be Araucana x Barred Rock, though I'm not sure that's entirely true.) Anyway, I got the loveliest blue eggs in the mail. I wondered about that--shouldn't they have been brown eggs? I set them, and got three chicks with dots on their heads.

As they grow up, they look more like hens. I'd rather have them be hens, if it's all the same.

9. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I've never heard of EE sex links. (but that doesn't mean much)

My understanding (could be wrong) is that ANY red rooster over a BR will produce a black sex link. Any golden color rooster (such as an Orp) over a BR will produce a gold sex link.

Okay, I found this post that refers to EE sex links. I don't know if this applies to your situation, but see the last post. Very interesting.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3123908

10. neferset

neferset Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    So I might get Olive/Green Eggers from this but I definitely didn't get sexlinks (if the eggs were blue, it had to be a barred rock roo over EE hens). Woohoo! I might have some ladies! Actually, I think I have at least two girls of the three.

[​IMG]

I just hope the advertised "sexlink" didn't cause anyone to cull chicks with dots on their heads. I thought it was neat that I would know right away so I went for it, but I raised what I got.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by