Breeding frizzled Cochin to silkied cochin

Mburrows6653

Chirping
Jul 24, 2022
Hello!! I have a group of pure bred bantam silkied cochin pullets. I have the sweetest pure bred frizzled bantam Cochin cockerel I’m trying to find a pen for. If I put him into the silkied pen, will he possibly make silkied frizzle Cochins? I also have a silkied cockerel in the pen. Thanks!

Not on the first generation, unless your frizzled cockerel had a silkied parent. The silkied gene is recessive, so both parents must carry the gene in order for any of the offspring to express it.

First generation of frizzled to silkied would give you half smooth and half frizzled offspring, all carrying the silkied gene. If you take those frizzled offspring and cross them back to silkied birds, you would get about 1 in 4 offspring that are both silkied and frizzled, 1 in 4 just silkied, 1 in 4 just frizzled, and 1 in 4 smooth.

Also, hello! Great to see someone else working with silkied Cochins on the site!! :frow I have a thread for my birds here and I'd love for you to join in: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/breeding-silkied-cochin-bantams-to-the-standard.1555327/

He would make frizzled or smooth offspring but they would carry the silkie gene, so if you bred the frizzled offspring to silkied Cochins some offspring would be smooth, some silkied, some would be frizzled, and some would be silkied and frizzled.

Not on the first generation, unless your frizzled cockerel had a silkied parent. The silkied gene is recessive, so both parents must carry the gene in order for any of the offspring to express it.

First generation of frizzled to silkied would give you half smooth and half frizzled offspring, all carrying the silkied gene. If you take those frizzled offspring and cross them back to silkied birds, you would get about 1 in 4 offspring that are both silkied and frizzled, 1 in 4 just silkied, 1 in 4 just frizzled, and 1 in 4 smooth.

Also, hello! Great to see someone else working with silkied Cochins on the site!! :frow I have a thread for my birds here and I'd love for you to join in: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/breeding-silkied-cochin-bantams-to-the-standard.1555327/
Thank you so much for this response and explanation!! I really appreciate it! I love my little frizzle dude and don’t want to get rid of him! Hoping he can fit in easily somewhere ❤️

He would make frizzled or smooth offspring but they would carry the silkie gene, so if you bred the frizzled offspring to silkied Cochins some offspring would be smooth, some silkied, some would be frizzled, and some would be silkied and frizzled.
Awesome! Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom