Breeding Frizzles, which rooster to keep?

Chooksaurus

Songster
10 Years
Aug 8, 2009
NW WI
We recently hatched out 6 Cochin Bantams. They are only 6 weeks old at the moment, and are in with the rest of our flock, which consists of the description in my signature. It appears that I have at least two cockerels in the group, one smooth and one frizzled. If the group stays as it is, I will be looking to eliminate one of the males as I am not yet willing to rework our facilities to accommodate 2 roosters and breeding pens. Perhaps after we build a new house.

My first thought is to keep the smooth cockerel because if he fertilizes eggs from the three frizzled pullets, they have a good shot at being frizzles. The frizzled cockerel, on the other hand, would give me the chance at frazzles, which won't work.

But I am also a little curious to see what would happen if I allowed the frizzle cockerel to stay around and fertilize some eggs from the BR or RIR. Is this even a viable scenario? I know that bantams and standards can breed, but genetically, is it plausible? It would make one heck of a real-life demonstration for my 8th grade Science unit on Genetics, but without the experience in chicken breeding, I am at odds on what to do here. (Not to mention, I'd just love to see what a RIR frizzle would look like if it would happen.)

I can already see this turning into a whole other addiction/obsession. We were "just" going to have 6 laying hens for eggs and a good learning experience for our daughter...no hatching of eggs, no additions, nothing like that...we are now up to a flock of 26. At least I could possibly sell some of the resulting chicks?
roll.png
gig.gif

Thoughts on who to keep or how to approach this?

personally i would keep the smooth cockeral and breed with the frizzled pullets (no frazzles!), but i like my purebreds, so its really a personal choice. it is deffinatly possible the roo (whichever) could fertilize the standard hens, ive got one polishXstandard (some brown egg layer not sure what she was), but the polish bantams are a lot bigger than cochin bantams (mine anyways).

and yes chickens are deffinatly addicting! i started with 2 bantam breeds (was JUST going to have 2 breeds in giant runs) and am up to 4 breeds (several color varietys of a few) and 7 pens (added on and divided 2 larger pens)

Last edited:
I have a little hen that came from a lady who had a frizzled roo running with her hens (RIR) and one day came out and had little peeps running around I got a couple of them from her. I will try to post the pictures on here to show you what they can possible look like. Her roo was white. She got him given to her bec. it crowed and her granddaughter couldn't keep it in town. So she let it run with her birds she would collect eggs for egging them. Surprise she missed a couple.
lol.png
Picture won't post
barnie.gif
I will take new pictures maybe that will work.
hmm.png

It is possible to have two cock birds in one breeding pen. You just have to watch that one day they don't decide to beat the tar out of one another. You'll also find that it's possible one male will be the dominant and will do the breeding, while the other tries to sneak in once in a while. I do it quite often with several breeds if I'm not doing controlled breedings and are cramped for spare cock pens. Also, it is possible and it will happen that you'll get bantams breeding with large fowl. You'll end up with mid sized birds that reflect their parents. Frizzle aspect, as long as you are keeping a smooth of one gender with a frizzle of the other gender, either way it will work.

Chuckle... I just let our Gold Birchen Smooth Sizzle out with our Delawares for the summer. Got some very pretty split birchen delawares out of it. LOL. A lady who loved the look took them all, one roo and three pullets. Since he is a smooth we didn't get any frizzles from the mating but If I had persisted with the line I would have eventually. Now that's silly. But certainly feasible.

As to Frizzle to Frizzle yielding Frazzles. While it does happen, I just hatched 12 eggs from a Sizzle to Sizzle mating and got only one that may be Frazzle. That's not so bad. And watching the babies Frizz out is one of the joys of messing with the breed.

Next year I'll continue with BBS Sizzles and the new Birchen Sizzle group as well. There's just too much fun in messing with it all. I'd like to contribute Gold and Silver Birchen Sizzles to the Sizzle standard now being created so, it is a project for me.

So, aye, a sizzle or frizzle bantam is quite capable of progeny with even very large breeds. I may eventually Frizzle a Delaware and laugh for a few years.

The little Birchen Roo is actually quite attached to his giant exotic Delaware lady... it's quite cute.

Fairly new with this, but we picked up a small frizzle bantam hen(Clarrissa) and put her in with a very large rooster(Rocky), we believe he is part salmon favorelle and jungle fowl. The babies have been about 55% frizzle and 45% smooth. We are still awaiting to find out if our frizzled babies are girls or boys...but here is the crew

she is a bit ragged from living in the love shack...

our first hatchlings, we named this one Nicholson, the black one is Oreo

Nicholson again...likes to pose for photos

Nicholson ,

about 3-4 months??? this is oreo

our 2nd batch this is goldie

more in the brooder box, along with gunieas

I'm new to the frizzle stuff As well... I have one white sizzle roo and i am wanting to throw him in with some silky hens I have and see what I get. Do yall think it would be a decent breeding? Now if I do that do I need to breed back the sizzles to get a "pure"(?) sizzle line?

Here is my roo and the hens

7CBC96C1-A351-4795-8EA3-9DA05C0FB1B4-3093-000003311DD990B3_zps2e59e605.jpg

37997933-905E-4382-B058-221C032C203D-3093-00000330D46A337A_zps401482a0.jpg

37B9B554-84F7-46F1-9741-18A41F9AB78B-3071-0000032D31E0BAF3_zps4b4c4ba6.jpg

8EE0DDE9-F80F-4B90-AB7B-5CFA1BBAC300-3093-0000032FF088DF81_zps51d09772.jpg

Back
Top Bottom