Breeding from chickens hatched from a commercial breeder

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kengland, Mar 16, 2012.

1. kengland

kengland Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    Hi,

I have 9 Delaware birds (8 hens+1roo) purchased from a local farm store. They buy their chicks from a large commercial hatchery in New Mexico.

Anyhow, my goal is to breed the birds to replace my flock over time. My understanding is that these chicks are really not related because of the size of operation.

Are chicks generally related when they come from commercial hatcheries? If not, and I breed a flock of offspring, I have to end it there unless I fertilize the eggs with a different roo, correct?

Thanks folks!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Since hatcheries deal with large numbers of breeder birds the chances of your chickens being related is minimal. Given this scenario one or two generations of inbreeding should present little or no bad results. Inbreeding and line breeding is a common tool utilized to develop uniform families.

3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    You have a good starting plan. Once you start inbreeding, you need to have a oan to cull more heavily as things crop up. Chickens thrive better when they are not inbred; and cross breeding different breeds of chickens increases the survival rates, growth rates and such.

I would look for a new rooster when this boy is the father of your next generation. You can breed the girls back to the father and the boys back to the hens. I buys you another generation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by