Breeding Good Cross Breed Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ColetasticChickens, Nov 21, 2019.

1. ColetasticChickens

ColetasticChickens In the Brooder

Jan 20, 2019
    What is a good idea to cross breed hens with? I have a Gold Wyandotte, Easter Egger, Cuckoo Maran, Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington, Australorp, Barred Rock
    Any Ideas for excellent egg laying?

2. Rose Quartz

Rose Quartz Enabler

Mar 18, 2018
    East Hants N.S. Canada
    For egg laying i would cross the BR and RIR if you happen to have a roo of either kind.

sealer39 likes this.
  3. sealer39

sealer39 Crowing

Aug 3, 2013
    Pineville, Louisiana
    A White Leghorn rooster would do the trick. The chicks probably won’t be the prettiest in the world as they will be mostly all white but your egg production should increase. However, any breed specifically bred for egg production should help.

sourland likes this.
  4. ColetasticChickens

ColetasticChickens In the Brooder

Jan 20, 2019
    I’ll be able to find someone maybe any pics on what they might look like?

5. Rose Quartz

Rose Quartz Enabler

Mar 18, 2018
    East Hants N.S. Canada
    I dont have any pictures. Assuming you have a male BR the baby boys will be orange with barring on their wing feathers, and the females will most likely be just orange.

6. sealer39

sealer39 Crowing

Aug 3, 2013
    Pineville, Louisiana
    RIR would be a good choice. Just google Rhode Island Red x (your breeds) and you should get plenty of pics.

7. NatJ

NatJ Songster

Mar 20, 2017
    USA
    Are those the breeds of hens you have, or of roosters you have?

If those are your hens, then to produce daughters that lay well--choose a rooster of a breed known for good egg production.

Possiblities could include a White Leghorn, a Rhode Island Red, any of the sex-link hybrids sold for laying--any breed or cross sold by a major hatchery that brags on them being good egg layers.

If the breeds you're listing are roosters you have, then probably the Rhode Island Red or the Barred Rock will sire chicks that lay best, with the Australorp and the Buff Orpington also being good choices.

AMERAUCANAS4REAL likes this.
  8. NatJ

NatJ Songster

Mar 20, 2017
    USA
    I don't think so. A barred rock father should produce chicks that are black with barring, for males and females both. They may have a bit of red in some places, depending on the color of the mother, and they will not be color-sexable the way pure barred rocks are (or the way chicks with a barred mother and not-barred father are.) Of course, that only applies if a rooster is a pure barred rock--if he's a cross of some sort, then some chicks will be black and barred, and the rest are anybody's guess.

Rose Quartz likes this.
  9. NatJ

NatJ Songster

Mar 20, 2017
    USA
    Rhode Island Red rooster crossed with barred rock hen gives black sex links. They would look like the ones sold commercially, but may not lay quite as well. Most hatcheries have photos of some; here's one that has more photos than most I've seen:
    https://www.cacklehatchery.com/black-sex-links.html

FortCluck likes this.
  10. AMERAUCANAS4REAL

AMERAUCANAS4REAL Enabler

Nov 8, 2017
    Wisconsin
    My Coop
    Rhode Island Reds, Black Australorps, and Barred Rocks are all known for their laying abilities.
    If you want sexlinks, however, a non-barred male over a barred rock or cuckoo Marans would be a good choice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: