1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

breeding guineas

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by jaux2, Oct 27, 2009.

1. jaux2

jaux2 New Egg

Oct 25, 2009
    Red Bud, IL
    We lost our male somehow over the summer and have only a hen and 6 keets left. The hen was quite productive this summer and we sold all but these 6. Should we get a new male, or is it okay to breed with one of these keets (mother/son and brother/sister)? Google searches tell me it's ok for a couple of generations and some others tell me not to do it at all. Opinions?

Thanks.

2. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    You probably won't have any problems one way or the other. I once heard on a poultry related topic that it would be better to have parent to child than sib to sib. Upon thinking about it, it made sense. You would have more genes in common with your sibs than parents. Really though, I don't think this will be a big deal. If you can replace your male, good. If you can't.....well you have something to work with and I for sure would use them.

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Yup, don`t give it a second thought.........Pop

4. You should follow what the horse people follow. Now, I would have to ask, but I think that it is a "bad" thing if the male breeds the daughter, but I might have it backwards.

5. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    It's probably just fine. I have a few generations turned out together and I'm sure there is inbreeding going on [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by