cuckoo maran
RIR
Cream legbar

and various hens
Commercial reds
Cream legbar
Australop (I think)
Light sussex

wondering what hybrids I could get from these if any, as want to devide up the males this spring.

I am of course going to breed the CLB's but could spare a few CLB hens if the make an interesting hybrid or a blue /olive egg layer

Thanks

thanks simz, I will give it a go as CLB cock has 6 CLB girls, so he could spare 2 to the maran but would any offspring male or female carry the blue egg gene and therefore if crossed again with a dark to white egg layer give olive/green eggs of various shades?

Forgot to say also have a white leghorn to add to the mix - he is only young but will be viable in spring

Last edited:
I don't know, but there is a great breeding chart that would show you that answer. I've found it on the Olive Page on FB, but it is probably here in an Olive Egger thread.

I work with Marans and Ameraucanas, so I'm not sure how it works with Legbars. All of my females from a Marans/Ameraucana cross have been Olive layers. It seems to get pretty iffy using Olive laying mixes when you breed back - only some of my Olive layers bred back to a Marans laid darker Olive. BUT, if you breed the Olive back to a Blue gene (I use an Ameraucana rooster), the hens lay a neat spearmint color green.

Confusing, but hopefully that sort of answered your question. ;)

so if the maran mated with the commercial reds (brown/tan eggs) I would get darker brown eggs from the offspring ?

the spearmint colour sounds great - i've never seen one before

Mating the Marans with regular brown/tan layers usually doesn't result in much darker egg color in the offspring in my experience (which is not much!). I mated an Olive Egger back to a Marans and one of the offspring lays a tan egg. I was surprised by that. Egg genetics are complicated I hear.

It's a neat color, kind of a brighter green. It's fun to see what you get.

The RIR cock over the legbar hens will also give you sex links. The males will be barred and have a head spot at hatch. Females will not inherit the barring gene(so no head spot) and be red I believe. I bred my CCL cock bird to my RIR hen and really liked that hybrid from a personality point of view and got a very nice green/almost olive egg. I would like to breed more of them some day but sadly neither parent is still with me.

The RIR cock over the legbar hens will also give you sex links. The males will be barred and have a head spot at hatch. Females will not inherit the barring gene(so no head spot) and be red I believe. I bred my CCL cock bird to my RIR hen and really liked that hybrid from a personality point of view and got a very nice green/almost olive egg. I would like to breed more of them some day but sadly neither parent is still with me.
do have any photos of them as chicks?

I don't think so as I'm not one for taking photos much, but there was a thread here on BYC dedicated to cream legbar hybrids and I know there were other people who were doing CCL xRIR, so a search might bring that up.

Back
Top Bottom