Breeding Lavender/Black splits back to Black from BBS pen?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Smokin Silkies, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Smokin Silkies

Smokin Silkies formerly browneyebuttafly

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    I have some Lav/Split Silkies that I want to breed back to Black Silkies to get pure Lavs...and Splits...right? BUT, could I do this from Black Silkies that came from a BBS pen? Or do they possibly carry the Blue or Splash gene? Or is a Black a Black...a Blue a blue and a Splash a splash? So confused....Thanks [​IMG]

2. encorepistol

encorepistol Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    To get Lav just breed the splits together then you'll get a percentage of Lavs. Then breed the lavs together for more lavs or back to black for more splits if you're going to introduce new blood or something .

3. Smokin Silkies

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    Yeah, but I was going to order some BBS eggs because I can't find anybody that sells just Blacks only, penned seperately. Do you think I could use the Black Silkies from the BBS pens for this or could they carry another gene since they are penned with Blues and Splashes and other Blacks? Thanks

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Black is black. It does not matter if they come from B/B/S or a pure black line.

5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:She's absolutely right- you don't have to worry about anything being hidden in black but Lavender, and that's not a problem, right [​IMG] ?

6. Smokin Silkies

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    Great, thanks so much! and no Lav is not a prob [​IMG] Thanks for your help! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by