Breeding/Laying problems

Discussion in 'Quail' started by thegoatpacker, Aug 7, 2014.

1. thegoatpacker

thegoatpacker Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2013
    A few months ago, my hens went into molt and are still there. Egg production has fallen by about 40% and low fertility. I see almost no signs of active breeding. Last year breeding activity was almost constant. I feed 28% Gamebird crumbles. Any ideas?

2. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Any signs or mites or lice? Usually a molt doesn't take that long to complete so I am wondering if there is something else causing the feathers to not grow in as fast.

3. thegoatpacker

May 17, 2013
    No signs of anything like that-no scratching or irritation. They act completely normal except for the breeding activity and bare backs.

4. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Hmm I would try adding some poultry vitamins to their water as a start-see if you can get them over the molt faster and back to laying.

Have you fed the higher protein feed all along or just during their molt? If you've been feeding this all along-do they seem over weight? as that will cause infrequent or no laying.

5. thegoatpacker

May 17, 2013
    They have been on this feed all along.

6. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

I would definitely put them on some vitamins since it can't hurt anything and if they have a vitamin deficiency it may the only thing that helps them.

Where do you keep them? what is their light situation like? Is there a light on around them at night (street lamp, christmas lights, anything that produces light) ?

If you could upload a picture it might help (might not either but you never know)

7. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    +1 on confirming the light situation

What breeds are you keeping? I am thinking that the higher protein level regularly may cause your hens to be over weight. Which can lead to lower/non laying. I know there are some breeds that do better on higher % though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by