breeding LF and bantams?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by what was i thinking, Mar 23, 2009.

1. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    what happens if my large SF roo breeds with my bantam SF hens? is that going to be ok? sorry if it is a stupid question. i was just thinking about chick in the egg.
    what would they be considered... lf or bantam?

thanks for your help.

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    most LF-bantam crosses come out about 3 pounds depending on the size of the bantam large fowl crosses.. like a junglefowl is considered a bantam but is a fair sized one at that.. if they crossed with a standard it'd be a largefowl

3. what was i thinking

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    so, do they hatch ok out of bantam eggs? everything will be ok?

4. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:yup, the size of the eggs will be determined on the size the hen lays.. and the chick's size will be determined on the size of the egg/yolk

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  5. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    It works out fine. I have had my flock all running together for warmth this winter. I can tell some of the chicks out of one of my hens that I know her egg for sure from the others that some chicks are sired by one of my LF roosters and some of the chicks are sired by my bantam rooster but all the chicks are happy and healthy. They are just different sizes depending on the sire.

6. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Technically you would have a Mutt, because you are not breeding type to type, but if you were to show such a bird it should be too big for bantam standard, and too small for LF standard, but no one would be the wiser till the next generation....

edited to add: there is nothing wrong with the chick, but you should not try to pass it off as PURE anything.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  7. what was i thinking

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    it isn't pure because they are lf and bantam, correct. same breed, but different types. i didn't think they would fit any standards.

8. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Yep. They are mutts. Some are just more bantam like in size while others are closer to LF in size but not as big as a LF. I don't try to say they are purebreds when I sale them just say they are mutts. Some I can tell the people I know the hen was for example, "Blue" my LF hen is the mother and I am unsure of the sire as all my roosters were running together for the winter. "Blue" lays a different egg than any of my other hens so I know 100% "Blue" is the mother. The rest I just say are a result of my flock running together for the winter and it is possible the breed mix could be Breed A, Breed B, or Breed C crossed with Breed A,B,C,D, or E. Hope that makes sense.

9. what was i thinking

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    i was thinking of my two bantam sf hens with my lf sf roo??

10. what was i thinking

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    Quote:so i would just say mutt SF's ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by