1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breeding math...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TinyChickenLady, Sep 19, 2011.

1. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

So I'm told I have a red sex link girl and a black sex link boy.
    Here are my parent options...
    Father : Silver Wyndotte
    Mother : Delaware, RIR, barred rock or dominique, and another mystery white breed that looks like leghorn.
    So my question is: Who is the mother to these sex links? I'm thinking RIR is to red sex link and barred rock look-alike to the black sex link.
    Is that right?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Silver Laced Wyandotte male x Barred Rock or Dominique = Black Sex-Link

You can't possibly have red sex-links from that flock though, but you can have hens that look like them from the Mystery White hen x Silver Laced Wyandotte.

3. TinyChickenLady

Oh thank you Illia! I was just curious who the mother is so I'll know next time who is who.
    Do you know what she would be if not a red sex link? I must admit she didn't look like the other RSL pics that I've seen.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I'd need to see a pic. [​IMG] She's a mutt though if that answers it for ya.

5. TinyChickenLady

I wish I had a good one of her uploaded...
    Let's see what I do have.
    [​IMG]
    LoL this is a rear view shot of her. That handsome fella there is her man, Doug.
    [​IMG]
    This is when they were about a month old. She's the lighter one.
    [​IMG]
    And this is them about a week old. She's the yellow one there. She's now a tannish red with a few black tail feathers.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Sex-Links normally have white on them. She looks like a Production Red, really.

She's likely SLW x RIR. (or, Production Red, really - since the mahogany didn't even pass on well if at all)

7. TinyChickenLady

Oh thanks for your help!
    Doug doesn't have any white on him either. He had a bit when he was a baby. Would he still be considered a sex link?

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    No.

Sex-Links are the offspring of a barred hen x non-barred rooster or a silver hen x gold rooster.

The roosters will either be barred or mostly white and yellow in color.

9. TinyChickenLady

Well the rooster is mostly white. He's a silver wyndotte from what I'm told. He's a gorgeous boy! But I think I understand now. My Doug and Fluffy are pretty much mutts with no real breed name yet... [​IMG] LoL I love my mutts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by