Breeding math...

TinyChickenLady

Songster
8 Years
Jul 14, 2011
My backyard farm, Maine
So I'm told I have a red sex link girl and a black sex link boy.
Here are my parent options...
Father : Silver Wyndotte
Mother : Delaware, RIR, barred rock or dominique, and another mystery white breed that looks like leghorn.
So my question is: Who is the mother to these sex links? I'm thinking RIR is to red sex link and barred rock look-alike to the black sex link.
Is that right?

Silver Laced Wyandotte male x Barred Rock or Dominique = Black Sex-Link

You can't possibly have red sex-links from that flock though, but you can have hens that look like them from the Mystery White hen x Silver Laced Wyandotte.

Oh thank you Illia! I was just curious who the mother is so I'll know next time who is who.
Do you know what she would be if not a red sex link? I must admit she didn't look like the other RSL pics that I've seen.

I'd need to see a pic.
wink.png
She's a mutt though if that answers it for ya.

I wish I had a good one of her uploaded...
Let's see what I do have.
99916_babyshower_and_coop_127.jpg

LoL this is a rear view shot of her. That handsome fella there is her man, Doug.
99916_aug_2011_054.jpg

This is when they were about a month old. She's the lighter one.
99916_aug_2011_027.jpg

And this is them about a week old. She's the yellow one there. She's now a tannish red with a few black tail feathers.

Sex-Links normally have white on them. She looks like a Production Red, really.

She's likely SLW x RIR. (or, Production Red, really - since the mahogany didn't even pass on well if at all)

No.

Sex-Links are the offspring of a barred hen x non-barred rooster or a silver hen x gold rooster.

The roosters will either be barred or mostly white and yellow in color.

Well the rooster is mostly white. He's a silver wyndotte from what I'm told. He's a gorgeous boy! But I think I understand now. My Doug and Fluffy are pretty much mutts with no real breed name yet...
gig.gif
LoL I love my mutts.

Back
Top Bottom