Breeding Meat Chickens

sunnyschickens

Chirping
13 Years
Feb 5, 2009
We would like to start breeding meat chickens on a small scale. High priorities: 1. Excellent foragers to cut down on feed cost; 2. Good sized and more white meat preferred; 3. Decent egg production. Not as important: Fast maturing to slaughter age. Cornish crosses are out due to inability to breed. Considering Chantecler or Leghorn or Rangers. We plan to start on a very small scale with just a few males & females, and will probably use a tractor. Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!

My neighbors raise freedom rangers, they're delicious! They forage well as well. They move them to new pasture every day. They actually kept one from their last batch and while he's huge, he has a good temperament too.

I can’t say enough good things about the New Hampshires from Freedom Ranger hatchery…my must have list is very similar to yours and they check all the boxes for me.

I’m not familiar with the other breeds you listed personally, but leghorns are going to have very little meat on them.

Since you want eggs as well as meat, have you considered the Production Red? Roosters 9 lbs, hens 7 lbs, 300+ eggs/yr, relatively docile temperament. They are RIR optimized for both eggs and meat, and different hatcheries/breeders have different strains.

Wow! Production reds are that heavy? I guess mine are heritage, they're tiny.
I have an 8-9 mo old Production Red rooster, he's at least 10 lbs, requires two hands to lift, while my hens require one. Even using two hands, I can't get my hands around his wings, I have to hold him with my whole arm. He got that heavy around maybe 5-6 months? His toes are as long and as big around as my fingers. He was like a RIR but always a little off on the coloring, finally discovered Production Red is an actual breed, and it was him. Just not a lot of discussion about them on here. There is a big difference depending on where you get them, different breeders have different ways of making them. Mine came from Tractor Supply and they wouldn't tell me the hatchery.

We would like to start breeding meat chickens on a small scale. High priorities: 1. Excellent foragers to cut down on feed cost; 2. Good sized and more white meat preferred; 3. Decent egg production. Not as important: Fast maturing to slaughter age. Cornish crosses are out due to inability to breed. Considering Chantecler or Leghorn or Rangers. We plan to start on a very small scale with just a few males & females, and will probably use a tractor. Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!
CC are just like any other chicken they reach maturity at 18-22 weeks when they start to crow they are about ready . they lay about 180 eggs a year. I have 8 cc and I get 4 eggs a day I have 1 hen that is 1 year old and she is fine the key is simple feed them like a layer not a meat bird 1/4# of food a day. they are all 8-10#I have hatched several I believe the hatcheries don't want us to do it they don't lay enough to make a living but with 10 hens and 1 rooster you can feed your family.

Back
Top Bottom