Breeding minnows

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickencheeper, Apr 6, 2018.

1. chickencheeper

chickencheeper Crowing

Jun 4, 2017
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    Hello, I’m considering(and planning on) breeding bait minnows(for fishing) do any of you do it? Any tips? The type I’m considering are fatheads or common shiners, the shiners would be the best option since they carry them at all of our local bait shops. I’d have to order fatheads online

Kessel23 likes this.
  2. Kessel23

Kessel23 Hi Bug

Feb 6, 2018
    Hi Hannah
    I am not experienced with breeding minnows but I have done it once before, I just put little plastic pots at the bottom of the tank with some small rocks to hold them down. The male fatheads would fight over the pots and keep the females with them. They laid eggs and hatched some fry but all of the fries died a few days later. I do not know the proper way to breed minnows, I just was messing around and it happened and then they died :hmm
    Edit: I put the plastic pots on their sides btw, not straight up.

chickencheeper likes this.
  3. chickencheeper

chickencheeper Crowing

Jun 4, 2017
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    Thanks for the input, did you move the fry to a different tank or in a breeder(little cage that hangs on the inside of the tank)

Kessel23 likes this.
  4. Kessel23

Kessel23 Hi Bug

Feb 6, 2018
    Hi Hannah
    Nope, I could not catch them because they were too tiny. Maybe I should have taken the adults out?

chickencheeper likes this.
  5. chickencheeper

chickencheeper Crowing

Jun 4, 2017
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    The best option would have been to get some sort of strainer that the fry could get through but the adults couldn’t fit through, maybe you could have removed all the extra stuff and dragged a piece of chicken wire through the tank, the big minnows would get caught but the fry would be on the other side, then you could catch them with a net

Kessel23 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: