breeding muscoveys ?

poultrykeeper08

Songster
11 Years
Feb 12, 2008
Agawam , Ma
i have a pair and the female just started laying 4 days ago . she made a nest in a dog house in one of my barns and has 4 eggs in the nest so far .

i was wandering, after the eggs hatch should i keep the male with her or seperate them ?

OMG i heard they eat small rodents i didn't know they would eat chicks?! OMG THATS WHERE OUR NEIGHBOR'S WENT!! she just layed more eggs but won't sit on them I want to get a bater so I can hatch them he said I could they don't do anything w/ the eggs.

We have raised our Muscovies all together for 10+ years and we have never had any issues of the drakes attacking the ducklings.

Steve in NC

Quote:
thank you, someone who has bred them for 10 years +, i read and read all this stuff to say separate them but i never seperated mine and my drake hasnt even thought about bothering them, i just thought i had a nice drake, but i also just talked to my neighbor and he's never had a problem, but i do know once they hatch be carefull not to get too close, sometimes like in my case the mothers can be quite mean if you get too close and try to attack you lol,

I'd seperate them just to be sure. My drake tried to eat the ducklings
roll.png
Mom didn't do anything to protect the babies, I had to go rescue them

Back
Top Bottom