breeding muscoveys ?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by poultrykeeper08, Jul 10, 2008.

1. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    i have a pair and the female just started laying 4 days ago . she made a nest in a dog house in one of my barns and has 4 eggs in the nest so far .

i was wandering, after the eggs hatch should i keep the male with her or seperate them ?

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Separate them.
    Muscovy drakes are known to eat small things, like mice and chicks and baby gophers, like that.

3. josh_bigler

josh_bigler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    windsor, missouri
    it actually depends on the drake, some will eat them, mine however is scared of the hens because everytime he gets close they chase him off!

4. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    OMG i heard they eat small rodents i didn't know they would eat chicks?! OMG THATS WHERE OUR NEIGHBOR'S WENT!! she just layed more eggs but won't sit on them I want to get a bater so I can hatch them he said I could they don't do anything w/ the eggs.

5. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    We have raised our Muscovies all together for 10+ years and we have never had any issues of the drakes attacking the ducklings.

Steve in NC

6. josh_bigler

josh_bigler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    windsor, missouri
    Quote:thank you, someone who has bred them for 10 years +, i read and read all this stuff to say separate them but i never seperated mine and my drake hasnt even thought about bothering them, i just thought i had a nice drake, but i also just talked to my neighbor and he's never had a problem, but i do know once they hatch be carefull not to get too close, sometimes like in my case the mothers can be quite mean if you get too close and try to attack you lol,

7. bestponymilo

bestponymilo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2007
    I'd seperate them just to be sure. My drake tried to eat the ducklings [​IMG] Mom didn't do anything to protect the babies, I had to go rescue them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by