"Breeding mutts worsens the poultry hobby for everyone"???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Moochie, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Guy: And breeding more mutts just worsening the poultry hobby for everyone
    Me: I like mutts. I'm curious to see what I'll get from a turken egg and an EE egg.
    Guy: Then keep them all and quit trying to find homes for them later on.

How is it ruining the poultry hobby? My first 8 chickens were mutts and they didn't ruin anything for me. Nice brahma mixes and couple RIRs. [​IMG]
    I lalalalove to breed out mixes because it's always a surprise to see what ya get! I mean I like purebreds too! But right now I only have a breeding pair of OEGBs and later on I'll have purebred silkies. I wanna get showgirls from my turken hen and silkie roo, if he can fertilize her.. He's like half the size of her.
    Guy said that I'm being stupid and I continue to do stupid things.
    What about all the people who have mutts, raise them, and let them hatch eggs??

I'm taking this the wrong way though. I feel like there's some sort of chicken racism going on. [​IMG] I love all chickens big and small! Doesn't matter the color or the comb type, they're all equal and they all deserve good homes.

2. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

I have seen a lot of gorgeous crosses on here and I love the few crosses I have, but I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion. [​IMG]

3. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Quote:He shouldn't have been so rude though. [​IMG]
    Cross is a better word for mixed breed chickens. Thanks for putting cross, it never crossed my mind!

4. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    Hmmm stupid people how does he think we got coronation sussex or some of other select colors.

5. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I like my mutt chickens. And what do people think all their easter eggers and sexlinks are? I think mutts are one of the most popular chickens out there, especially if you count them. That was very rude of that guy!

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I say to each their own. I have all purebred birds, but I've had some nice crosses, for example, the EE's I used to have were beautiful birds, along with the Polish Sebright crosses I had. , . Ignore the guy! [​IMG] If you like them, have them!

7. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    If you're a serious hardcore breeder of purebred whatevers, making alot of money off of them or showing them, well, then good for you! But if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all. I've seen the same with some chihuahua owners. The kind that are "my chihuahua is the best and your chiweenie is kaka".

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  8. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    I think the issue is the commercial hatcheries. many people don't know what a purebred bird looks like. Then they sell those birds as a certain breed and people assume that means they aren't mutts.

I mean, if I buy a German Shepherd, I assume that means that the dog isn't 3 different breeds mixed together. The hatcheries breed commercial breeds, hybrids intended to grow faster, lay sooner, and lay more frequently. Since most people don't know that they actually have hybrids, no one is working to maintain the original breeds

9. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Wow, that was a really snobby thing for that guy to say to you.

Every purebred out there came from somebody crossing two different chickens together at one point, except for perhaps the Jungle Fowl. Sheesh! [​IMG]

10. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    My flock of dual purpose mutts is for my own use, and I'm selecting future flock towards a fat black juicy colored egg layer. Don't care what anyone else thinks of my birds----they can't have them anyway. I won't sell my eggs. (I give them away free! to friends)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by