Breeding mutts

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Joey G, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Joey G

Joey G Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2016
    Hello everyone. I was thinking about getting some welsummer hens and a rooster or two to go with my red and black sex links. I know that they won't make sex linked chicks, but would the offspring from the welsummer rooster mixed with the sex links produce good egg layers and would the next generations continue to make good layers also, or would they get too far from any good genes?

2. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

It's really just a case of trying and see, but id say it is very likely that both 1st and 2nd generations would be good egg layers. Your crossing prolific layers (links) with decent layers (wellies) so your defiantly not going to get bad layers.

3. Joey G

Mar 13, 2016
    Thanks. I will probably try it out and see what happens. I'll bet we get some cool looking birds.

4. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    The excess cockerels that hatch should also have a reasonable amount of meat on them, although I do find that Welsummers are quite slow to come up to weight. I'm assuming you will be processing the excess cockerels for meat....

5. Joey G

Mar 13, 2016
    More than likely.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think they'd make great layers.

I've done a lot of mix and match starting with different breeds of hatchery stock. I've found as long as you start with production birds (parent stock that are good producers/layers), your offspring will lay about as well as the parent stock. Sex links are pretty much the top of the production breeds, so your offspring probably won't be quite as stellar as the parent hens, but they'll still be very good layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by